F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

F2 with F3 Engine

Old 04-17-2017, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2 with F3 Engine

Okay not 100% sure where to put this, but hopefully you all can help. I have a 94 Cbr600F2. Got a 98 Cbr600F3 engine. I am using everything from the F2, except engine and petcock is new from EBay(it has space for vacuum hose on the side.) Got all the wiring worked out, carb cleaned, all the hoses in place, full battery and fuel in tank. I got to start it and it just screams does not turn over. figured I needed a little time for the carb to fill up, so try it a few more times and nothing. So i grab some starting fluid, open full choke and press the start button and it starts to rumble a bit and goes off. I spray some more starting fluid and it turns over for about a second and a half and goes off. I repeat this step until the battery got to low. I kind of sounds like fuel is not getting to the carbs. The F3 engine does not have a vacuum hose on cylinder 1, they are on 2-4. So i connected the hose from the petcock there. I made sure that the hose on the tank is not clogged or anything. I did disconnect the hose from the tank and did see fuel. I am not sure it is making it to the carbs though. Not sure where the problem could be. I thought about getting some clear tubing to try to watch the fuel go into carbs, but I am wondering can I be missing anything else before I tear into the carbs again. I definitely cleaned them, not sure if i missed setting something that will vacuum suck the fuel through. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

A quick and easy way to see if your carbs are getting fuel is to open each of the drain screws on the bottom of each of the carb bowl. If fuel comes out, it is getting there.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
A quick and easy way to see if your carbs are getting fuel is to open each of the drain screws on the bottom of each of the carb bowl. If fuel comes out, it is getting there.
Okay I can go with that..could it be anything Im missing that would cause the fuel not to get to the carbs.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I you disconnect the fuel line from the carbs and the vacuum hose from the engine you could suck on the vacuum hose manually and fuel should flow as long as the petcock is turn to the ON or RESERVE position, if its a vacuum operated petcock. Otherwise, if its gravity feed it should flow in the ON position without being sucked on. And if it is gravity feed you would need the vacuum hose hooked up to nothing. If it is gravity feed you should turn it to the OFF position when the bike is not being ridden just to be on the safe side, in case of a float being stuck open.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
I you disconnect the fuel line from the carbs and the vacuum hose from the engine you could suck on the vacuum hose manually and fuel should flow as long as the petcock is turn to the ON or RESERVE position, if its a vacuum operated petcock. Otherwise, if its gravity feed it should flow in the ON position without being sucked on. And if it is gravity feed you would need the vacuum hose hooked up to nothing. If it is gravity feed you should turn it to the OFF position when the bike is not being ridden just to be on the safe side, in case of a float being stuck open.
I'll definitely try that too.

I assume the engine starting with starter fluid is a good sign that things are headed in the right direct. I mean is there something inside the carbs that needs to be adjusted or does that come after the big gets fuel and starts.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if is gravity feed make sure the vacuum ports on the engine a plugged off. Maybe even the vacuum port on the petcock if it is indeed gravity feed. But then why would it have a vacuum port on the petcock if it was gravity feed.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
And if is gravity feed make sure the vacuum ports on the engine a plugged off. Maybe even the vacuum port on the petcock if it is indeed gravity feed. But then why would it have a vacuum port on the petcock if it was gravity feed.
I just looked at the petcock I bought off of ebay, it definitely and aftermarket petcock and when it looks exactly like and aftermarket F3 which is gravity feed. I will try to see if the vacuum hose needs to be there, I Will post back later...thank you all.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:13 PM

Okay I finally figured it out. Thanks all you guys for your help

Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM

Okay so I thought I figured it out. I got the new petcock and it is definitely an F2, I installed the vacuum inlet onto the side of the F3 engine right under carb on cylinder 1 and its doesnt seem like its creating any vacuum. Can I somehow make the new vacuum petcock I ordered gravity feed or do I have to buy an F3 petcock. I read that I can bypass the need for vacuum by flipping over the spring. Also do I need to put the fuel filter in the tank or can I just install an inline fuel filter.