F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

counter shaft oil seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnny34
I didn't think the lip on the seal would be pliable enough to fit through the smaller ID of the counter shaft case opening. You get the Macgyver award for creative resolution.
Unfortunately it wasn't my idea. I'm just not that mechanically inclined, and to be honest, lazy...

Old 05-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Honda CBR929RR Primary Drive Shaft oil seal

Hi All

Not sure if anyone is still looking at this post, But I have recently bought a 2001 CBR929RR second hand, only to ride it for 2 days and find the oil leaking from the shaft that the front sprocket is attached too, it is not a reall ybad leak but one which requires a fix. I have had the bike to Honda dealer in Perth, Western Australia. The fix they recommend is to drop the engine on this bike due to the lipped seal and split the cases. This Honda and the 954RR has a lipped seal due to the gear box being pressure fed. Interestingly on closer examination I found that someone had tried a temp fix on this bike before as the seal they have put in place has been done with a retaining compound. Not sure how long the repair has worked for. I think for me and piece of mind the recommended fix is the way to go as if that seal is to blow when the bike is at pace the oil leaking onto the back wheel is not going to be a good outcome. I would be keen to find out if anyone has successfully managed to repair this without dropping the engine and splitting the cases. Gutted too as it looks to be around $2000 AUD to repair.
Thanks in advance for any feedback on this topic.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:10 PM

Wow, the post returns from the dead... I can only speak from my experience in which I chose to have the case split. If you crack it open you can have the engine internals looked at and serviced if needed. If the bike's PO already tried a cheap fix you can see the results. My F2 runs as strong as ever and I have no worries that the shaft seal is going to pop. Of course, I have more $$$ invested in the bike than what it's worth, so there's that.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:10 PM
Default Temp seal

Hi Johnny thank you for the reply, it does indeed return from the dead, the Honda mechanic I spoke to reassured me these hardly ever go! Anyway I have found a mining industry seal manufacturer in little ol' Perth Western Australia who has supplied me with a near identical oil seal without the lip. Turns out they are pretty much standard dimensions with exception if the lip. Therefore I am going to try and make a temporary repair to get me over a few months. Traced the work back to the previous, previous owner and it was done approximately 3 years ago. So if I get a few months out of it I will hopefully have the money for the proper job next time. I am intending on pulling the old one and using a retaining compound to put this alternative one in and potentially getting a retaining plate made too. Just took a loan to buy the bike so really don't have $2000 to get it repaired. The best fix would obviously be to get it done by Honda and done properly splitting the case and the one I would prefer too.

Will let this forum know how I get on with the temporary fix.

Cheers

Chris

Old 03-13-2023, 01:08 AM

33k on the inserts to have the apperance ,