F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

2 questions: oil changes & overall height

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Um wes 17: I am new to motorcycles so i definitely haven't checked the suspension --I'll have to look into it-- and sorry for asking but what is a "sag" test? I googled it but I came up with some kind of medical exam; what do I need that for?

Sag dimension is the difference between unloaded ( the rear wheel hanging as if the bike was on a stand ) and loaded. ( the bike off of the stand with you sat on it with your feet on the pegs, some fuel in the tank aswell ) You will need some help for measuring the latter. Best check that measurement for your bike. Variations on the sweet sag spot will either give your a more responsive turn (less than ) or more stability (greater than ). This might or might not, be crucial to your bike as it is but if your going to play around with that rear suspension you need to have base settings to refer back to or you could end up trying to ride a right mess. Sorted suspension and brakes is better than anything you can do to improve your bike in my opinion

Last edited by 74demon; 11-05-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: bold quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An oil lever trick I've read that some people do is check it like you are supposed to and the level is proper, then put bike on side stand like you would normally park it. Then pull dipstick and wipe it clean then screw it in completely, pull it out again and see where the oil went up to on the dipstick and mark it with a file or hacksaw or dremel. Then from now on you could check it on the side stand using your new mark as the full level. So I've heard.

Last edited by coalminer frank; 11-04-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
An oil lever trick I've read that some people do is check it like you are supposed to and the level is proper, then put bike on side stand like you would normally park it. Then pull dipstick and wipe it clean then screw it in completely, pull it out again and see where the oil went up to on the dipstick and mark it with a file or hacksaw or dremel. Then from now on you could check it on the side stand using your new mark as the full level. So I've heard.
That should work just fine, since you'd be checking to the same level each time, although it might not give you an accurate reading of low low you are if you're the classic "quart low".

Also - when checking oil on our bikes in the upright and level process, you are not supposed to be screwing the dipstick back in. Just insert it, remove, check.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm.....that sag test seems hard but well worth it so I'm definitely going to have to look into it. Thanks for the tip wes 17. I want to say I'm gonna try that dipstick trick to just check it flat but I'm probably going to get some kind of stand or lift for it.
Any suggestions on a good stand or lift? My brother has an actual jack for his bike but I'm not sure if those are too pricy and I should just go for the stand instead?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:45 PM

For stands you can go inexpensive to very pricey.

I actually welded up a swingarmstand cause I had all the spare tubing and a welder laying around. I wouldn't recommend it as a cheap way to make a stand though - the metal alone would cost more than what a decent swingarm stand costs.

I bought an inexpensive biketek front stand that lifts by the triple tree instead of by the forks - it has been pretty useful for working on the front end. Notice - whatever stand you get - if you get one that lifts by the triple, or "yoke" the F2 needs a 24mm pin to fit in the headtube snugly, which isn't exactly standard with most kits.

Street - Stands - Biketek

Old 11-09-2012, 04:23 PM

Hmm asking around I found out that I can't use an actual jack to lift my motorcycle because the bottom isn't flat like a HD's bottoms (there are actually pipes down there) and that made sense.
Anyways that is a good idea to make your own but I don't think I'll actually end up doing that. I think it'll be easier to just buy it if it won't actually save me too much money. And I'll save the time and trouble of doing it myself! ^_^

Old 11-10-2012, 07:43 PM

Yeah, a normal lift jack like that or a MX bike use dont' work for sportbikes since the exhaust is under there, yeah it makes it harder. If you do need to support the bike, the downward protrusions from the oilpan are designed to be jacking points - I usually line a 2x4 up across them and jack up on the 2x4.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:54 PM

I got these lifts from my brother; which he got from Bike Master. They're great but They don't lift the bike up off the ground. Is that the way they're supposed to work???
I saw "Insert Image" and thought I'd upload a picture but I don't have the image online; only on my PC and I don't see the option for it so....yea maybe later.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:20 PM

anyone know the oil capacity WITHOUT a filter change? i just changed the filter and oil but had to drain the oil to make some checks.....

thanks

Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

3.1 - 3.2 What happened to the old oil? why put fresh oil in but not a new filter?