F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

1st start up and im a little worried

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011 | 08:34 PM
|

Thats the weird thing then because I was running rich on at least two if not all of my carbs. They ran fine at the end of last season, or so I thought. The reason this all came about was because I didnt need to choke to start. Gonna put it all back together tomorrow with some new plugs if they get here and a freshly cleaned carb. Should I consider buying a jet kit or if it aint broke dont fix it deal? I really just want to start riding but cant afford to mess my bike up either.

Old 03-21-2011 | 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
I my be wrong here - but I think those mods increase airflow, which would actually make a lean situation. (some say the K&N actually flows less than stock - go figure.)

Lean is less fuel, Rich is more fuel in the fuel:air ratio.
It does flow less. I had to run a smaller than stock main jet, and lean out my idle jets to get my bike to run right with a K&N. Jet needles stayed around stock position, which cleared up the common flat spots on these bikes.

buuuut... I really doubt that either of those mods would give you this much trouble. When I say I had to adjust to get mine to run right, I am talking super fine tuning that is barely noticeable.

Many times people throw on simple mods and think their bike is super now and tinker with the carbs too much. Prior owner may have jumped up the pilots too far. Or your float height may be off or the float needle seats may be worn.

Old 03-22-2011 | 07:50 AM
|

ok im gonna throw it all back on today. the carbs were actually really clean but it never hurt to give it a once over anyway, plus now i know that i can. i took the pilot needles to 2 out. ill tinker with that when i get it on the bike. i was looking at the repair manual and it was giving intructions on how to get it where i need it. thanks for all the help guys ill let you know how it goes

Old 04-01-2011 | 04:11 PM
|

Ok everything has been back on I have the pilot set so that way the spark plugs are showing a little lean, but nothing dangerous. I am still having a problem where the choke completly bogs down my bike and will make it stall. It wont use the choke to start even when cold. Im confused because I have it running nice idles around 1500-2000. Should I just leave it as is and figure if it is not hurting the bike its fine?

Old 04-01-2011 | 05:36 PM

Why don't you just ride it around for a bit in the nice weather, and get through that tank of old crummy gas before you go making too much in the way of observations on your bike.

Fuel stabilizer, while preventing your gas from from doing much in the way of harm (Varnish, water, etc), still results in crappy gas after sitting for long periods of time.