F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

1st start up and im a little worried

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011 | 10:13 PM
|
Default 1st start up and im a little worried

Started up my bike for the first time today and I need a little help/knowledge. This morning when it was warmer my bike started fine, but without the choke which I usually need. Just got done doing some work on it and It won't start with or without the choke. The only way it will start is if I hit the starter and give it some gas. I cleaned and re-oiled the K&N filter today but the rest of the work was doing some cosmetic work. Is there a problem and if so how do i fix it?

Old 03-17-2011 | 03:27 AM

i know mine does kinda the same thing but i dont hardly use the choke at all. but i always give mine a twist of throttle to get it started right up.. not sure if thats a problem or not but i know it is carbureted so it is always hard to start in the mornings after a semi cold or just cold night.. idk just my $.02

Old 03-17-2011 | 08:53 AM

Did it sit all winter w/o fuel stabilizer in it?

Old 03-17-2011 | 11:44 AM

along dissevered's line of thinking:

Started for the first time? Ever? Or since it was put up all winter, or since a full tear down?

Old 03-17-2011 | 10:35 PM

What work was done before the no-start issue?

Old 03-18-2011 | 09:51 AM
|

not the first time ever started, just since winter. I put fuel stabalizer in it before i put it away for winter as well. The work just has to do with the fairings and some other cosmetic work, cleaning it up basically. I am going to go out today and see if anything has changed.

Old 03-18-2011 | 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by pdcbrf2
not the first time ever started, just since winter. I put fuel stabalizer in it before i put it away for winter as well. The work just has to do with the fairings and some other cosmetic work, cleaning it up basically. I am going to go out today and see if anything has changed.
Well if you put stabilizer in it, you should be fine. It usually takes a full battery charge to start a bike after a 3-4 month sit. Needs to get the fuel flowing and all the moisture out of it. Choke on, battery tender ready, crank away.

If you go through 2 battery charges and no change, let us know.

Old 03-19-2011 | 01:20 PM
|

ok I think I stated it wrong. The bike is running it actually started on the first hit, but the weird thing is that last year before I put it away I choked it hit the button let it warm up and it was fine. Now what is happening is that it will noit start while using the choke, butno choke and give it some throttle and itll start up. Im wondering if something is wrong or if it starts am I good. P.S It will stay running after I give it some throttle as well

Old 03-19-2011 | 01:42 PM

Pull your plugs, see if they are dark. If it starts better with out choke, it sounds like you are running rich. Plugs tell you a lot. Pull a few.

Old 03-19-2011 | 03:50 PM
|

I did pull one of my plugs the other day because I decided to replace them. I am not great at reading them so ill check some post out and see what I can come up with. I think your right because it was dark. Is the only way to change that to dig into the carb? Sorry so many "dumb" questions still getting used to doing this

Quick Reply: 1st start up and im a little worried