CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

turn signal issue

Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 954 LED EASY FIX (I tried to detail as much as I could)

Bike: 03' 954 with LED undertail, LED rear signals, and LED Frame slider turn signals.

I researched a lot for sites including this one on the LED fix. I had more success with the resistor then the relay. The relay requires more room then the resistor. I located the area in the front fairing to splice the wires for the resistor, but honestly its not worth damaging the harness and exposing any wires especially in an area where the wires will be subject to weathering.

When I installed the relay:
The lights initially worked and then the relay went out. I can not remember the relay used, but it is also found as the OEM relay for the Ford Tarus. This relay worked for a few minutes and then stopped working. The speed of my turn signals slowed down, yet it was a semi-successful. I would not recommend

The Resistor: Radio Shack: 20 Watt 8-Ohm Non-Inductive Resistor ($2.99 each) - X2

I purchased 3 resistors because I was not sure if I would blow one considering the research I had done. Most people said they were using a Higher wattage and less Ohm resistor. I spliced the rear right turn signal LED and installed one resistor (listed above). It worked with no problem. The flash slowed down dramatically and I was impressed. I then tried using the left turn signal and it flashed at the same rate. I turned off the bike and then turned the bike back on with neither turn signal flashing. I turned on the right turn signal and I had the same issue as before (the very fast (almost solid) blinking). Thinking I had blown the resistor, I tried turning on the right turn signal and it was blinking as before. I then switched back over to the right turn signal and it was blinking normally. I installed a resistor on the right turn signal. It fixed the issue. The non-inductive resistors do not get hot at all. I have been using them for 3 weeks and running so far. There is really no pictures needed for this fix. The links below is for the resistor.

8-Ohm Non-Inductive Resistor
Model: 271-120 | Catalog #: 271-120
8-Ohm Non-Inductive Resistor : Resistors | RadioShack.com

The installation of a resistor is easy. one end of the resistor goes to the (+) side of a turn signal wire and the other end goes to the (-) turn signal wire. It does not matter where you splice them at. I spliced mine in my rear cowl and covered them with a nice layer of electrical tape. 6 bucks and maybe a 15 minute project. I hope this helps anyone with this issue.