CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

New to me 954rr just not running right? long.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 954rr just not running right? long.

well guys i picked up my dream bike (02 954rr) on thursday. Here is the issue. When I went to look at the bike the battery was dead. The seller jumped it, and it started first hit, sounded perfect, no knocks, no idle issues, nothing. We let it sit for about 5 minutes, i jumped on for my test ride, and there were zero issues. it pulled hard in every gear, not a single glitch. I bought it knowing it needed a battery.

today i put in a new battery, started it up, and something just isnt right. it runs super rough, you can hear a knock coming from the engine, and the exhaust wants to backfire. i let it warm up, jumped on it and tried to ride a couple of 1st-2nd gear pulls. the bike just had no power, it back fired through the exhaust black smoke, didn't want to go anywhere, i limped it home.

i just changed the oil, and the oil that came out of it looked new. i started it up after the change, with the same results. i ordered new plugs today, they will be here tomorrow.

what am i missing??? do these bikes need to reset after a battery change? how long are you guys letting these things warm up before riding? i am starting to wonder if the gas that is in it is old? thanks in advance for the help. i am sure i will have a ton of questions about this thing.

Tom

Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 PM

heres what i would do, when you take the tank off the bike to change the plugs (if you go that route... its easier that way.) drain the tank put fresh high test gas with a can of seafoam or, good fuel injection gas additive, also make sure when you change the plugs you use dielectrode grease on the plugs, as well as coil ends. DONT GAP YOUR PLUGS!!! make sure your battery is charged all the way up and all connections are good. hopefully thatll get you going keep us posted....
ricky

Old 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM

Try to check fuel presure regulator it can be the cause for black smoke!

Old 03-21-2009, 01:47 AM

*the following is just my midnight opinion and should not be taken as fact or knowledgable advise*

Seems like you are having a problem with fuel ignition.

This issue is probably electronic.

Hold off on swapping the plugs, the right ones are spendy, and don't **** with the gas tank. No seafoam.

The bike is idling rough because the a/f is out of whack and/or you have insufficient spark which also is why you're getting backfires. The knocking from your motor is because it's idling so slow and rough.

Check all your electrical connections. I've seen a loose spark plug cause similar problems.

Another possibility, that you DON'T want to hear, a ring(s) are dead and you are getting massive blow by.

If all connections are good, you have sufficient spark, fuel & air and the problem still persists you may want to do a leak down test.

Black, black/blue, smoke is normally burning oil