F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

new owner (long post, long story) of a 2005 f4i

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner (long post, long story) of a 2005 f4i

Hope you all will enjoy my story.. I upgraded from a 2006 Ninja 500r to a used 2005 f4i with about 3500 miles on it. Here's how it all went down and about my adventure, pics are included at the end. It'a lengthy one so if you just wanna see the pics scroll to the bottom. I reside in DC.

Part I - the background

I rode my old bike for about one full season. I got use to her, cared for her, babied her. We went everywhere possible, the local traffic, the speedy traffic, the summer ride to the beach 100 miles away. I spent a lot of time knowing my 500 and what it could do and what I couldn't do just quite yet with it.

I felt the need for an upgrade, I was moving towards something a little more powerful but not too much, I didn't want to jump to a bike that was going to be a nearly direct lateral move either. 600cc RR supersports were out of the question, some fit real well, but I didn't want the hassle of $$ and insurance, and the idea it would be too much bike. My first bike was new, I did try to sell it privately but every person who contacted me was thinking about it but had their heart set on a Gixxer. In DC and surrounding area begginer bikes are there, but it seems people have more dosh they want to spend.. that's my opinion...

I spent some time researchin and found that the f4i was a more ergonomicaly comfortable, and easier to handle bike than it's RR big brother counterpart. I soon discovered that sitting on one, everything fit amazingly well, this was it, this was the one, I had to get one. I figured the insurance would be a problem cause I thought for sure it would cost me more money. I was stunned when I called my agent and they said that I could the same full coverage I had on my existing 2006 EX500 for the same amount of money for a 2006 f4i.

[8D] SIGN ME UP!!!

I soon discovered that 2006 was the last model year and that there were some sales going on in my area, dealers were trying to get rid of them. I dropped by the place I bought my 500r originaly and they had one blue in stock. Yeah that was cool, I waffled, did some thinking, practiced with my bike gave myself some time. I checked up another dealership for kicks that had the same one and sure the bike was there, but I always had a gut bad instinct about the place, so I never followed up with them. I called back my original dealership I first went to and said I was really interested in the Blue 2006,.... he told me he just sold it yesterday..

[&:]

What is our hero to do? In a way it provided me an opportunity. I knew this bike was popluar. I called a Honda specific dealership and asked them if they had any f4i's in stock. He said well ironicaly we got a yellow 2006 in yesterday with about 2000 miles on it. On top of that the dealer flat out told me, I have NO IDEA WHY HONDA DECIDED TO STOP MAKING THEM (aside from the obvious that their putting all the R&D into the RR's).

It all made sense now. While my first bike was bought brand new, it made sense that for the upgrade I should go used and save some money. Problem was I had to find that bike.

Craigslist has always been my friend. When I moved out of my apartment I sold my furinture I swear in less than 2 days. I checked the listings one day in the DC area. this popped up..

Deploying to IRAQ selling 2006 blue f4i. $5000 call me

I phoned. Hey do you still have the bike for sale.

No he sold it last week

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

This is seriously mocking me.. our hero didn't want to give up... I scouted VA Craigslist, nothing really, then I stumbled on a hapless ad in Baltimore for a 2005 Maroon. Yoshimura slip on, Sportech mirrored double screen... Now I am no fan

Old 05-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Default RE: new owner (long post, long story) of a 2005 f4i

I'll admit I didn't read anything after "pics at the end." But the bike looks good, glad to see ya in full gear, what kind of boots are those?

Old 05-13-2007, 01:49 AM

They are Vega Nitros. relatively inexpensive, good when I got them, but they broke in and got too soft after about 4 months.

Plus they have laces even if they are under velcro, that doesn't jive with me anymore, I am getting new boots soon.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...amp;Division=1

Old 05-13-2007, 01:56 AM
Retired Moderator

Great re-telling of your first Honda. Glad you are one of us!

Old 05-13-2007, 05:09 AM

Good story

Old 05-13-2007, 03:51 PM

Good story. I would have been the same. Glad you didn't wreck it...I kept waiting for you to say you lost it in the rain.

B.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:24 PM

i pick mine up tuesday, seems the days can not go any slower at this moment! [&o]

Old 05-13-2007, 05:06 PM

Congrats.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:27 AM

congrats man, I have the same model and color picked it up with 2600km on it with a yosh slip on....
love the color and the sound...enjoy the riding season

Old 05-15-2007, 01:44 AM

you werent joking when you said a long story.. Congrats

Quick Reply: new owner (long post, long story) of a 2005 f4i