CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954RR running like crap w/ PCIIIr installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 954RR running like crap w/ PCIIIr installed

Recently my '03 954RR w/ Erion slip-on has been hesitating/stumbling badly below 7k RPM, above it's better, but still not 100%. Initally I changed coils/plugs thinking those were culprit, no help. I disconnected my PCIIIr cause I've heard some having issues with theirs, and after about 30min of riding, poof, all better, no hesitation, nothing. So, hooked it back up, reinstalled the Erion slip on w stock filter map to see if maybe it's loosing map or something like that and again after about 30min, ran like crap, so I took it off thinking that it went bad, cause it ran fine again after 30min with it off.
Well got a new PIIIr, installed it, and AGAIN after 30min, the hesitation is back! I've never heard of anyone NOT being able to run any PC on their bike, but I don't know what else could explain why I have problems only when I have one installed. Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 PM

i just got a 3r. i like what i am getting from it so far, so i really hope nothing like this happens with mine.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try adjusting the ignition advancer on your pcIIIr.When I had mine I went to 4" below 5K and 2" above it and ran perfect.Saved me lots of fuel as well.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by letsride
Try adjusting the ignition advancer on your pcIIIr.When I had mine I went to 4" below 5K and 2" above it and ran perfect.Saved me lots of fuel as well.
i guess you do this in the tables? 5k what? forgive my ignorance. I have only played with the software once.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:08 AM

Sorry I should have been more specific,Go to the fuel table and you'll see that there is a bunch of 0's there.Put a 4 in each box up to 5,000 rpm after that put a 2 up to redline.Hope this makes more sense.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:32 PM

Alrighty, I'll give it a shot. Let me know if this sounds fesiable to you. I talked to DynoJet about my problem and they said it's most likely a sensor starting to go bad on my bike, with the factory ECU settings it's not noticeable, but with the PC hooked up, that's what's drawing out the problem. He told me to check my TP, MAP, IAT, and Engine Coolant Temp sensors.
So next time I have the chance I'm gonna shoot wires and see if they are in the specified values. I'd really like to know what's up cause I'd like to be able to use my PC again...

Old 05-24-2009, 11:25 PM

Well, tried adjusting the timing...no go. I hooked the PC back up, redid the tables, rode it and within 5mi, the stumbling /hesitation showed up again. One thing I forgot to mention before, I noticed while having the problem, my gas milage went down to like zero, I would get less than 50mi on a complete tank of fuel. So, I changed my pressure regulator thinking that might help, but no...
So it makes me wonder about the sensor thing...could one be bad so when the PC is hooked up it's throwing the a/f ratio so out of wack that it's causing my symptoms? I'm gonna try checking sensors tomorrow, but if I can't find anything I might have to take it to a dealer...

Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 PM

Well let us know what you find.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:47 PM

Well, found the problem, and it was completely random...turns out one of the connectors under my ECU was not seated completely so the connection was intermittent. Explains why at high RPMs it was better, the vibrations wern't as bad as when at lower RPMs. Connected it and it runs like a champ now. Suprised I lasted as long as I did with no issues!!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by letsride
Sorry I should have been more specific,Go to the fuel table and you'll see that there is a bunch of 0's there.Put a 4 in each box up to 5,000 rpm after that put a 2 up to redline.Hope this makes more sense.
you sure you don't mean the Ignition table? the fuel table already has a lot of the cells with values other than zero, positive and negative.

Quick Reply: 954RR running like crap w/ PCIIIr installed