CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

my FIRST ACCIDENT

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: my FIRST ACCIDENT

Easy tiger! Just because some forum members express an opinion that's not to your taste (by the way, we are all entitled to an opinion) it doesn't make them an ******* (actually, it's arsehole here in the UK) - something you need to learn in addition to controlling your bike

It's just the nature of a forum innit?

Old 10-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents here.... and its a forum... I can share my 2 cents.. just like everyone else in a forum. A literbike is a hell of a lot of power to start with. It sounds like your crash wasn't caused by the power, but the power CAN get you into trouble... and fast. I think the reason the majority of people say get a small bike is for the safety of the newbie. The gov't requires seat belts, which I'm an advocate of, but I don't think it should be a law to require them. If you'd asked my advice before you bought the bike, I would say get a smaller bike and learn the basics... But you didn't, so sorry to hear about the crash and I know we're all glad you're ok.

Suggestions: Go to the MSF course!!!! Buy leathers, gloves, and a helmet... IMMEDIATELY!!!! That stuff has nothing to do with your skills or abilities... that has a lot to do with conditions and other drivers. Can't change the past, but we can influence the future.

You have the bike and you're probably not going to sell it, so be careful, don't push your abilities, and have fun. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:27 PM

Second that, nikos. And well put.

I can't really get my head on straight about what makes a bike a good "starting bike" anyway. Some guys think a 600 isn't a bad place to begin - but I look at my year 929 ( 2001 ) and that same year CBR600, and I see two bikes that are only 4 pounds apart in weight, and comparable numbers as far as performance ( even though the 929 has more horsepower and torque, their acceleration stats aren't that different). So I don't know how to answer the "good starter" question.

As for MSF, I really struck out, cause my instructors were awful teachers. Example - I had to discover countersteering on my own AFTER I got my license. But that was just my bad luck. I'm confident most of the instructors out there are fine, and the course well worthwhile.

As for gear, NO COMPROMISE. If it's too hot for a good jacket, it's too damn hot to ride. Same for gloves. Helmet? Full face, visor down. Period.

It's all good, fRacer. Be careful, and keep us posted on your progress.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:34 AM

I started on a zx-6r and after a year I was bored with it and bought my 929. I have quite a few friends with liter bikes. a couple 05 R1's and 1000RR. I wish I would have bought the 929 in the first place, yet I really miss my 6r now that its gone . its all a matter of being careful and learning. In my first year I learned so much and with the 929 its alot different yet alot alike. Too bad your bike is scraped. I wouldnt worry about it. Just think about how your are going to ride it. If you wanna start doing wheelies by the end of the year or ride hard in the twisties I'd leave it all scratched up. If you decide you wanna stunt or be real aggressive there is a good chance you will lay it down again, and then you wont feel as bad you if you drop an already scratched bike.If you are going to ride it respectably then get it fixed. IT doesnt look that bad. Good luck and just learn slow and be careful. If you do get it fixed I highly recommend a freestyle ingenuity crash cage. it will save your plastics if it happens again or if/when you drop it again. I have one on my bike if your interested in a pic or you can go to the website.

Good luck

P.S wear a jacket. and gloves you will be think ful when you can roll over in bed or wipe your ***.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wearing full leathers, gloves, boots and full face helmet is a must as far as I'm concerned. I never venture out unless I'm wearing the lot. At the end of the day it's only there incase bike and rider are separated! As Stuntin points out, gravel rash is no fun. There are plenty of riders who have come off their bikes, been lucky enough too have not ended up under another vehicle or hit a solid object, only to be severely injured or worse as a result of sliding along the road in nothing but denim jeans and a t-shirt. If it's too hot, as far as pleasure riding is concerned, I set the alarm clock early and get out before it has warmed up too much.

Ride safe

Old 10-25-2006, 05:27 PM

k i will invest in a jacket but i have everything else. speakin of the progress of the bike the bike starts now a wire had come off by the clutch lever and thats the reason it wasnt starting and the gear plate had broken off therefor i could not change gear but now its fine the bike is road legal cuz it had a missing mirror. i rode it home from the shop and i just garaged it for now.. during the winter im goin to buyy the plastics and i'll work on it w/ my dad. One more thing in the pictures it seems that only the plastics are damaged but the seat frame is bent to the right i was wondering if this affects the riding or the safety..

Old 10-30-2006, 02:57 PM

My opinion is this: Get your bike repaired and keep on riding!! You wrecked, walked away fairly unscathed, so just get it fixed and keep on riding!! Just be careful and enjoy the bike!!!