CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Have a wiring problem somewhere...FI/Igntition fuse blows

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Have a wiring problem somewhere...FI/Igntition fuse blows

I reached under the tank and kinda shook a few wires around, and put in another fuse. It started up, and I grabbed my **** and rode home.

Well as you stated,I would start looking under the tank and see if there are any bare wires their.When you wiggled the wires you were able to start your bike right?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: letsride

I reached under the tank and kinda shook a few wires around, and put in another fuse. It started up, and I grabbed my **** and rode home.

Well as you stated,I would start looking under the tank and see if there are any bare wires their.When you wiggled the wires you were able to start your bike right?
Yup. I could have sworn I saw a droplet of liquid on a wire too. Couldnt tell if it was water or fuel, but I doubt if it was fuel because I park in the garage, and I would have either seen it after sitting for a while, or at least smelled it right? Either way, I'll try what you all recommended. Demon, logically you made a lot of sense, and its the easiest. I'll try that one first. Any more ideas, keep throwing them my way. Thanks fellas.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 PM

I think you should take the tank off, take out the air cleaner box, and check around for any loose connections/bare wires. Youd be surprised how easily things can come loose under there. But it shouldnt be too hard to look around at all the wires/connectors once your in there...ive done it many times.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:31 AM

I raised the tank,and looked/shook around.....nothing. I'll try to remove the air cleaner box tomorrow. I tried today, but I couldnt find my long screwdriver. If I cant see anything after that, I'm going to take it in and suck up some of that $95/hr labor. **** really sucks. I wanted to ride so bad today too. So many pos gixxers and kawis out there.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Banned

o come on 95/labor wow i think you need to put a little more time and effort into your problem

Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Just my 5 cents or whatever the exact phrase is .
When i bought my bike i got it from a guy who almost killed himself stunting. so the bike was in very bad shape and it had a lot of crushed items on it. i got stoped in my weekend ridings with no power and a blown fuse just like you said 2 times and then i got pissed off and took the bike apart. i noticed a small leak from the tank and injection pump housing so i took the unit apart from the tank.
then i saw that it was leaking a bit for the tank was repared from a crash and it was not done in the perfect way.
The most important thing is that in there i found my problem an it was the 2 wires that were powering the fuel pump. because of the crash the plastic plug which connects them to the pump got crushed or cracked and some metal wire from the two separate multi-wire cables were very close to each other. i assumed that when riding through heavy bumps they would surely touch each other and short circuit - a blow fuse. i used some thermo shredding hoses that the auto electricians use to isulate the two wires and that was the end of my problem.
could it be that this has happened to you also?
best regards!
PS i could have been blown to heaven i guess - riding with a fireball between my legs but i think i am a lucky bastard.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 PM

wow! Thanks for your input. I'll be sure to look for all of that

Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 PM

After thorough looking, and shaking wires and connectors, I found nothing. So.... what i did was, tape up the wire where I saw the droplet of whatever and moved it so nothing can leak onto it. Every ride, I'll stop and check to see if I spot any moisture. Thats a start for now.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Banned

it's a start

Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
VP

I take it you're going to avoid taking it to the stealership until you absolutely must?

Quick Reply: Have a wiring problem somewhere...FI/Igntition fuse blows