CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Have a wiring problem somewhere...FI/Igntition fuse blows

Old 03-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a wiring problem somewhere...FI/Igntition fuse blows

About a year ago, I powered up in first, came down too hard, and blew a fuse. Some of you may remember. It hasnt happened again unitl I was out riding today. I was goin gthrough a construction area, and the road was quite bumpy, Hell the majority of the roads here arent that smooth anyway. So, I hit a pretty big bump in the road, and out goes all power again. This time, I was equipped with extra fuses so I coasted to the right and stopped. I replaced the fuse, and as soon as I turned the power back on, the fuse blew again. I was like ****. I reached under the tank and kinda shook a few wires around, and put in another fuse. It started up, and I grabbed my **** and rode home.

Now.... It looks like I'll continue to have this problem unless I either fix it, or get it fixed. My wife wants me to take it in, but Labor is $95 per hour here. Not that it matters, but who wants to pay someone $95 per hour to try to find a loose wire, or connection? I'll give it a shot first. Does anyone know where I should start looking first? Any similar problems or remedies? How/where should I start the troubleshooting? In my mind, the only thing I could think of would be to keep the power on,and try to wiggle all connections. Any suggestions?

Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 AM
VP
Default RE: Have a wiring problem somewhere

I had a similar situation happen to me... when the fuse blows immediately that usually means there is a "hot wire" or an exposed bit of wire somewhere that is touching metal on the bike... if you replaced your headlights with HIDs or front/rear blinkers thats the first place to check... all you have to do is look at the wiring and see that there's nothing exposed or rubbed open and go ahead and just cover everything spliced with electrical tape... hopefully its not a wire hiding out somewhere but you can save yourself some time and money by going ahead and checking these first

Old 03-03-2008, 08:06 AM

Wbut wouldnt that just blow the fuse to the lights, not the engine? I dont have HIDs. When I changed the lights out, I individually wrapped each wire with e tape, and heat shrink. I think its something under the tank.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which fuse blew

Old 03-03-2008, 08:12 AM

engine

Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Banned

engine.. the engine fuse uh.. no such thing.. the main fuse? or what

Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 AM

Sorry, I meant ther FI,/ Ignition fuse

Old 03-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Banned

well fuse's blow when to much current/power is brought through the fuse as you already know most likely, so my guess as VP's is you have a short somewhere.. download the manual if you haven't and look at the wiring diagram and follow each wire that leads to ignition, like stater relay
also a bad starter could be the cause of it too

Old 03-03-2008, 05:12 PM

doubtful it is the starter. look around where the wires come down the neck to under the tank. That is the point where they are pinched into place by a screw and clip.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: demonchild

doubtful it is the starter. look around where the wires come down the neck to under the tank. That is the point where they are pinched into place by a screw and clip.
you'd be surprised it's a common problem with cars

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have a wiring problem somewhere...FI/Igntition fuse blows