CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Bought myself a 954 (project)

Old 03-11-2018, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That's a clean case! As far as I know, the dial indicator setup you used is the correct way to check for runout. In my experience, if the needle bounces suddenly it's more likely the result of knocking it with your hand than anything

You'd really only be concerned if you saw the needle move gradually up or down a thou over a full rotation, as that could indicate deflection, but if it were deflected, you'd probably also see accelerated wear on the old mains as well

Old 03-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One last measurement, which should be done later today to confirm the green light for complete reassembly. One Conrod bearing to replace due to crank change. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:09 PM

The results are in, I'm good to go. Cylinders 2,3 and 4 are tight at .0016 ish and cylinder 1 with the new con bearing due to the crankshaft swap is .0018 to .0019 Wear limit is .0024

I have reassembled the cases. New seals,new bolts and I ordered and have received a Cometic case gasket kit for it. OEM head gasket. Hoping to do some more tomorrow.

I took pics of the plasti-gauge on the 2 and 3 con rods. You can see how it squishes to obtain the measurement that one compares to the packaging to get the measurement (just in case it helps someone)

Attached Thumbnails Bought myself a 954 (project)-img_1101.jpg   Bought myself a 954 (project)-img_1103.jpg   Bought myself a 954 (project)-img_1105.jpg  

Last edited by SteveandMat; 03-11-2018 at 11:16 PM. Reason: OEM parts used other than case oil pan gaskets
Old 03-12-2018, 07:11 PM

I managed to get back in the shop for a bit. I installed the shift forks and shaft. This was simple. For anyone contemplating the removal of the shift forks or shift drum etc, its not so bad. Each fork is marked Left Center & Right respectively. Each mark is installed pointing to the right side of the bike. Its easy to see where each fork goes in the tranny. Install the right fork and slide the shaft through, install the center fork and push the shaft etc etc...

I just finished the shifter linkage, oil pump and drive, simple stuff left now.

I have four intake valves left to clean and lap (I'm hoping I didn't sink any valves too badly; I have no extra shims. (sinking a valve: research tells me grinding the valve too much will drop the valve into the head changing the valve clearance. I may have to use a thinner shim to obtain the proper clearance)

Attached Thumbnails Bought myself a 954 (project)-img_1107.jpg  

Last edited by SteveandMat; 03-12-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:19 PM

Hi Jon (tentacleslap) I took a few a minutes after clicking on your You Tube link. Well done! Looks like I'll be treating the fam to some new vids, many thanks

Old 03-18-2018, 09:32 PM

I'm at a standstill for a bit. I started reassembling the head, three worn exhaust valve guides. I just couldn't reassemble it. I wanted to but can't lol. Waiting for a quote from the machine shop.

Any aftermarket exhaust valves worth installing out there?

Old 03-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveandMat
Hi Jon (tentacleslap) I took a few a minutes after clicking on your You Tube link. Well done! Looks like I'll be treating the fam to some new vids, many thanks
Glad you like them! Way back when I used to take a lot of pics when I worked on bikes purely to help with reassembly, so it wasn't a huge leap to start taking video with commentary. Even so, I've got plenty left to learn

Old 03-24-2018, 07:15 PM

Small town blues (very Rare) machine shop says odd ball size guides for them. They don't do much bike work. They have to buy pilots to recut the seats. I guess I'm rebuilding the head, I've gone this far! ETA 3 weeks.

Hope I don't forget what all my important notes mean!

Side note. Met a guy here close to me. He just finished rebuilding/customizing a 954rr. He says awesome flickable ride, buy the best steering damper you can!

I'm now the owner of a carbon fiber Akrapovic exhaust for mine!

Last edited by SteveandMat; 03-24-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:00 PM

Does anyone have three valve guides in hand that they would be willing to overnight me LOL

Still no head! I thought I started early enough on this project to avoid not being ready for riding season! :-)

Old 04-13-2018, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Annoying, its a case of hurry up and wait, but with a rebuilt head there's no worries

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought myself a 954 (project)