CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   Bought myself a 954 (project) (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/bought-myself-954-project-156892/)

SteveandMat 12-07-2017 10:00 PM

Bought myself a 954 (project)

I bought a gently crashed 2003 CBR954RR. Low(ish) speed wheelie failure. Bike came down on the stator cover and destroyed it along with the stator. After picking out the pieces I was actually able to start it. Ran good but the flywheel wobbled. I thought maybe the flywheel was weaker than the crank, it isn't. Bent crankshaft.

So, here I go. I don't plan on doing too much. I found a crank from a 929. I'll measure it up and replace both the crank and rod bearings and go from there. I was hoping to flip the bike to do the work. After glancing at the manual it says the head must come off before I split the cases! I don't believe it.

Is this true?

SteveandMat 12-07-2017 10:20 PM

Head bolts into the case or access I'm sure.

74demon 12-07-2017 11:11 PM

The head does not have to come off. Flipping the bike won't work out though. You will need to completely remove it from the frame and swingarm, then remove just about everything off of it and inside both sides of the case. Be careful with all the transmission internals.

Honestly, be easier to find another motor. A month ago I had a 954 crankshaft, but it's gone now. Too bad.

CaBaRet 12-07-2017 11:30 PM

Hi , are you sure that the 929 crank will be right , I'm sure they reworked the crank for the 954, and parts numbers aren't the same

SteveandMat 12-08-2017 09:29 AM

Good news, thanks. I decided we're going to strip it right down. Clean it all etc.

I'm not sure that the crank will fit. After searching for more information on it, I assumed the engines are the same with the 954 just having a larger bore. I am hoping to get confirmation of the fit via this thread 😉

SteveandMat 12-09-2017 10:38 AM

Looks like I found a crank for a 954 close to home in Oregon. Time to clean the shop and build a bike!

Since the engine has to come out. I'll do a leak test to determine the condition of the top end. I may go a bit further with the repair.......

CaBaRet 12-09-2017 11:08 AM

Hi matey, keep us up to date with the pictures:)

SteveandMat 12-15-2017 12:11 AM

Turns out the shop was worse than I thought LOL

I now have a clean bench but it's getting cold. I just finished installing a wood stove. I have been reading sections of the manual educating myself. I pulled the first part on the bike tonight, coolant is now draining......

I'll post some pics for sure. It will certainly help me later when I'm asking you guys for help :icon_boat:

CaBaRet 12-15-2017 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by SteveandMat (Post 1310151)
Turns out the shop was worse than I thought LOL

I now have a clean bench but it's getting cold. I just finished installing a wood stove. I have been reading sections of the manual educating myself. I pulled the first part on the bike tonight, coolant is now draining......

I'll post some pics for sure. It will certainly help me later when I'm asking you guys for help :icon_boat:

Yes keep taking those pictures, I always do when working on a bike that's new to me, helps to get everything back as you found it, and save them for the future, someone on here is bound to ask "where does this bit go" :)

SteveandMat 01-03-2018 09:20 PM

Well, I received the crankshaft and crankcase. Quite happy with their condition. Crank numbers are actually 22222 and BBBB. I was happy with that. I purchased 4 Hypericon led shop lights. Amazing lights!
Cold in Canada lol