CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

The ridiculously long clean-up thread (4-20-08)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally got a big bike

My exhaust smells strong and I think it might be from oil in the airbox. Did yours smell strong and after you cleaned it did it help the smell.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Banned

Haven't fired it up yet man, we shall see...

It had 2 exhaust leaks before too so it's gonna run/smell better no matter what! I've had the flu for the past couple of days so it's slow going...

And it's going to be 70 tomorrow!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

trust me the 1st time you take her out you will fall in love and will probably end up going on a long day trip so fill up with fresh gas and get up bright and early

Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 AM
Banned

Well I didn't get to ride for a long time, but I did enjoy myself! As good as could be given all the sand on the streets.

I do have a question though. What temperature do your bikes run at? I was consistently around 230-240. I was thinking that maybe it's possible the fan isn't coming on when it should given the dead battery? I dunno. I checked the water pump and thermo, but I didn't test either - other than poking and prodding. Everything seemed normal. Coolant is fresh and full.

I did have the radiator cap off to try and see the coolant cycling but it would overflow first. Is that telling me that it's not cycling? I never had to check the F3 or F4 so... ?

Manual says it could be clogged passageways or air in the system. Guess I'll check that tomorrow. Probably go see Mike at Honda Tuesday because they're closed Monday...

[:@]

Old 03-02-2008, 05:52 AM

My 929 would run around around 220. If you find no obstructions in the system and the fan is operating correctly, try some engine ice that brought the temp down about 15 degrees consistently.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:30 AM

^^ mine also will go to around 220 the fan comes on and it will fluctuate between 210-220ish (in stop and go)
On the parkway it would stay around 170ish

Old 03-02-2008, 12:16 PM

I almost forgot... well I didn't cuz I'm posting.

You can do a pressure test on it too (to test for air). Be careful though, not too much pressure. It will elminiate any air because the vaccum brings any remaining bubbles back to the resevoir.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned

Oh my gawd...

I forgot to fill the radiator back up after flushing. It dawned on me after I bought a battery today and went to get the bike. Ran at around 160-180 degrees...

I have a question for ya'll...

Since I've got that spanking new battery and I need to track down some possible electrical problems, can I just run my bike off of my trickle charger? Never thought about it, but I don't want to tax this $127 battery the second day I have it.

Thanks for any help!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Banned

Well I've got a bad ground, or a short somewhere.

I rode yesterday for a couple of hours, then today I went for about a 20 minute ride. An hour later I took off again and made it all of a mile when I noticed the gauge cluster had no power, then the bike died. I unplugged the HID and turned the key - cluster back on. Still couldn't fire it up but I push started it pretty easy.

So now my battery is charging again and I really hope I didn't just jack this thing up. It wasn't cheap for a battery.

I guess first thing I'm going to do tomorrow is make a good ground for the HID and see if that changes things. If not, then I know there is a short somewhere, right?

Something is draining the battery - would a bad ground do that, or is it a guaranteed short?

Also, could the fact that I have no signals plugged in affect anything? Also, I noticed yesterday that my taillight is no more. Plugs/bulbs look good. Didn't notice anything off on the harness when I took my subframe off soo... ?

Looks like I've got some electrical issues to resolve.

[:@]

Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Banned

Well, another Homer Simpson moment...

"Doh!"

The "short" turned out to be my doing. As Irushed to put it together the other day, I forgot to reconnect of the the connectors on the rectifier. Problem solved!

I've got allof the sratches and holes filled, I just have to wait for them to cureand then I'll hit them up with the sander and get the primered. Finally the bike's body will be coming together and lookinglike a real bike again.

I also did some tweaking on the upper stay, it was off a bit. After only ten minutes or so I wasable to get it, from what I can tell, perfectly!

One more thing -I remembered I had an old LED taillight with integratedturn signals from my F4. Well, I wondered if I could remove those LED's from theboard and sure enough, I did! Here is a pic of some of them, I took the LED's and the resistors from the old taillight. I bought atoggle switch and I'm going to use the LED's for either demon eyes, or peg signals. Haven'tdecided but I'm a bit hesitant to crack open that headlight housing... anyone ever done it before?

Here are the LED's

Name:  LED1.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  LED2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  63.6 KB

Quick Reply: The ridiculously long clean-up thread (4-20-08)