CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Steering damper install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steering damper install question

i'm not arguing the quality of hyperpro vs. ohlins dampers, and i'm not trying to come off as an expert at all. you've (duck hunter) clearly shown that you know your ****. i was just saying that the average street rider doesnt need to spend the extra money for the top product. honestly, most of us will never push these machines to the point where we will truly notice the distinct differences in quality of various products. you yourself said that in order to truly test a product, you need to push it to the limits. well, most of us dont do that. All the info you provided about the AMA racers was great and very informative, but as fas as i know, doesnt really apply to this forum. How many of the riders on this forum are AMA caliber racers and need their bikes to be at the very pinnacle of performance everytime they ride? not many, thats for sure!

i guess all that is just a roundabout way of saying why get AMA quality parts when you don't ride in the AMA? And maybe i'm being overly presumptuous and maybe tutman is an AMA caliber rider, but probably not. if you want to best quality parts out there, great, more power to ya. however, if you dont feel the need to have the best of everything, you dont have to feel cheated by the lower quality of your product.

also, i've read plenty of good reviews about hyperpro, including a British sportbike site that tested the damper on the track and pushed it harder than your average Joe Shmoe "street squid" as you like to say.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:23 AM
LDH

Fair enough, your point is elegantly made. Like I've mentioned my only goal is the accurate dissemination of info.

In parting I will just say this: Don't believe anything you read in the magazines... They are all on the take & he who as the biggest check that month gets the best reviews while the smallest check gets an honorable mention until that check gets bigger. The vast majority of "Moto-Journalists" are just writers that happen to know how to ride a motorcycle... Very few of them are proficient at riding & wouldn't know a good handling bike from a Huffy. I've was at one new model press release where some of the moto-journalists actually whined about the tires being too soft & squirmy to the point that the technicians actually increased the tire pressure from track pressures to street pressures just to make them happy... They were the slowest of the group before they changed the tire pressure & got even slower afterwards, but their opinion of the bikes got much better

Cheers!

Old 04-11-2006, 08:37 PM

Hey lord duckhunter ive got a question, i was looking at the stuff about the gas and which is better and whatever, but what about adding octane booster and fuel additives and stuff like that, does that stuff help at all performance wise do you know??

Old 04-11-2006, 10:32 PM
LDH

Without writing a short novel on the subject, the skinny is that octane (increasing the octane rating also increases the fuels resistance to detonation) alone does not alter the performance of ANY vehicle & generally the higher the octane the lower the hp http://www.rc51.org/fuel.htm You will also see that I am against using any additives in the fuel systems of a motorcycle.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:29 AM

If higher octane lowers hp than whats all the hype about using higher octane gas, does it burn cleaner or something?

Old 04-12-2006, 12:46 AM
LDH

You said it right there "hype"

If a higher octane gas increases performance then it is due to the additives in the fuel promoting better combustion & not simply the rating of the octane or the chemicals that affect it.

The exception being on some cars where anti-knock sensors retard timing for low octane ratings etc & higher octane fuels lead to more timing advance which can product better performance numbers in some cases.

Most bikes don't have anti-knock sensors or closed loop Fi systems

Old 04-12-2006, 04:05 AM

there was no gpr review in your link [:@]

other then that more power to you duckhunter for telling it how it is. I know I base alot of the stuff i buy off user reviews, and its good to hear both the good and the bad before deciding to buy or not.