CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

steering damper question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering damper question

2003 954 i notice at around 115 mph the vibration in the handle bars gets a bit crazy what ia a good steering damper to put on i was looking at the scotts damper and is there a vast improvement with the damper.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:00 PM
TEN
Default RE: steering damper question

I have a scotts on mine. my 2 cents......absolutely worth every penny. The thing is awesome. I have had my 954 up to 176 indicated with no vibration. In my opinion, that was one of the best upgrades i have. go for it.

Old 03-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the scotts on mine, had my bike 180 no vibration.... wheelies no prob, stands up, it works great just get used it to when you are driving slower, remember to turn it town in the city when you get used to it buti would get it ASAP

Old 03-11-2006, 03:45 AM

First of all, I just stumbled across this site and I'm just amazed so here goes my first post. Dude you DO NOT need a steering damper to fix your problem. Either your rim or tire is out of balance or your head bearings might be screwed up. I've had my '02 954 with no damper on a closed course and at speeds in excess of 140 mph (by radar, my speedo said 152) there wasn't a twitch. Primarily, a steering damper would be used to quell the osciallations caused when such a light, powerful motorcycle's wheel loses contact with terra firma then touches down slightly out of line and begins to jerk back and forth (classic tank slapper). This tendency is exacerbated by the steep rake and short trail our babies possess. A steering damper makes a fine addition to the 954, but fix your underlying problem first. Have a shop dynamically balance the front wheel/tire assembly and then make sure that your bike got the head bearing fix and that it's properly adjusted.
Good luck!
Nathan

Old 03-11-2006, 04:09 AM

He is right. Either it is out of whack in the front or you need a new front tire. Altough, i have a scotts damper and it is worth every penny you pay. I would never take mine off.

ORIGINAL: cbrguy72

First of all, I just stumbled across this site and I'm just amazed so here goes my first post. Dude you DO NOT need a steering damper to fix your problem. Either your rim or tire is out of balance or your head bearings might be screwed up. I've had my '02 954 with no damper on a closed course and at speeds in excess of 140 mph (by radar, my speedo said 152) there wasn't a twitch. Primarily, a steering damper would be used to quell the osciallations caused when such a light, powerful motorcycle's wheel loses contact with terra firma then touches down slightly out of line and begins to jerk back and forth (classic tank slapper). This tendency is exacerbated by the steep rake and short trail our babies possess. A steering damper makes a fine addition to the 954, but fix your underlying problem first. Have a shop dynamically balance the front wheel/tire assembly and then make sure that your bike got the head bearing fix and that it's properly adjusted.
Good luck!
Nathan

Old 03-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true if you do have a head bearing problem - which i have had and it really screws you up while getting up to speed quickly or stopping quickly or if you need a new tire or out of balance fix that first becuase you are just putting the "real" problem off with adding a steering dampner, but after that i would def. get a steering dampner if you like to do wheelies/stand ups or if you spend alot of time at 120+ which i have.. i loved it, look on ebay and see if u can just get the dampner for cheap cause they are all the same, just get the mounting kit from scotts or somone else and you can save some money