600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

another steering damper question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another steering damper question

hey, i was wondering if you guys think theres any difference between the "older" style shock dampers or the newer style dampers like the gpr and scotts? any pros and cons between the two types?

Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Default RE: another steering damper question

I've run both, In the past I use to run the linear style, mostly Ohlins and a few others. I know will ONLY run a GPR or Scotts rotory units.
The reasoning fot this is a couple things.
1) I've had issues with the linear style leaking, from multiple brands, more then once. - I've never once had a Scotts or GPR leak.
2) The rotary style is much easier to service and rebuild, infact for about $30 you can send them in and they'll do it for you. The Linears style are a PITA to service, if you can even service them.

The down side is the rotary stlye are big and ugly, IMHO they look like a humogus wart on top of the upper frok mount...

My personal preference is the Scotts as it is slighly smaller and lighter than the GPR, but I've used both and found them to be very good.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:33 AM

thanks man, some good info. know a cheap place for scotts dampers?

Old 01-17-2007, 01:20 PM

Let me ask you this....

why are you needing a steering damper??? or why do you feel you need one???

I ask this because most people won't need one unless you're doing track. Many people add one and neglecttheir suspension.

Its your money and I certainly am not telling you how you should spend it. IMHO, I think your money could be better spent beefing up the crappy/inadequate stock suspension. For just a little bit more, you can get your forks redone and the bike will perform much better than adding a steering damper that isn't really needed.

Just my 2 abe lincolns.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:52 PM

I agree with fish 100%. And to add to it most so-called "headshake" problem are a direct result of gripping the bar to tightly.

But foor a good deal, I would check out the site sponsors. OR..... Give Rob at Lithium Motorsports a call, tell him Jason B sent you.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:35 PM

i dont know much about the suspesion.. what can i do to make it better than stock, within reasonable cost

Old 01-17-2007, 08:35 PM

Here's another 2 abe lincolns worth...

first, ask yourself how far you want to take your riding?? (Do you just want to pose at Starbucks? Do you just want to be a canyon carver? Do you want to give Rossi a run for his money at the track???) Also ask yourself where your skills currently are?? Just answering those two questions will greatly steer how much you'll be spending.

If you're just a casual rider, then don't bother with your suspension (or anything else on the bike).

If you're looking to canyon carve, the stock suspension may be good enough depending on how much you weigh and how hard you ride.

If you want to hit the track, here is where you'll run into difficulties with your stock suspension. Unless you weigh about 140 lbs, the stock springs and valving aren't suitable for you with aggressive riding. The bike will be unstable somewhere (if not multiple places) when braking for your turns, turning it in, or exiting turns. IMHO, suspension should be the first and foremost mods people should be doing to sportbikes (even before flushmounts, fender eliminators, and all those other squid mods[sm=smiley2.gif] ).

I would first go to a suspension expert and see how good (or bad) the stock suspension fits you. First and foremost, get the preload set properly. If you don't get the right sag, the bike will never fair well under aggressive riding conditions, regardless of how the other suspension settings are set. You can set up preload yourself with the help of some friends. But since, by your own admission, you're not knowledgeable about suspension, it would be best to go to someone who is. Sport Rider's web site has an article about setting up suspension. Do a search here and you should find it.

chances are, the stock fork springs aren't stiff enough for you. You would then need to have a shop install stiffer springs and valving to match. That can be done for ~$400 (probably a little more if you go to someone whose more established in the field). You'd also have to do the same for the rear shock (or just get an aftermarket). You'll get many recommendations on where to send your forks. I recommend GP Suspension. Dave, the owner, can also give a good price on aftermarket shocks too.

That would be a good intermediate step until your track skills get better. Then if you so chose, you can take the plunge and get forks that cost more than your whole bike.

In any case, when your suspension is suited to your riding style, you'll feel like the you can get the bike to anything. A much better "investment" than a steering damper.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a question::
Is recommending suspension upgrades smorgasbord style the right thing? I read an article saying that stock bikes are coming with better and better suspension. And that 10or even 5 years ago the technology we get bone stock would only be found on expensive race bikes. I'm saying this because I noticed that no-one asked what bike or year he had.

Maybe I'm pretentious. Admittedly, the only thing I know about suspension is the vocabulary, so I'll just go ahead and put on my flame suit for this post. But hell, I'm a man and had to say my piece.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180
Here's a question::
Is recommending suspension upgrades smorgasbord style the right thing?
Yes and no...
For the average street rider (who never really pushes the bike at all) a suspension upgrade is usually not going to help. For a more aggressive street rider (canyon carver) or a rider that does the occoasional track day, a basic re-spring, oil change and good set-up will make a noticable improvment. For a track-day addict or newbie racer, going to a completely re-work front with an re-worked or basic aftermarket rear will drop lap times faster than the same amount put into motorwork. For a faster or expericenced racer usually a drop in suspesion kit (like a K-Tech ot Ohlins 25mm superbike kit) or even aftermarket forks, and of course an aftermarket triple adjustabe rear shock, will allow them to really fine-tune the suspesion. But it all really depends on the rider and bike, so there will always be exceptions.

I read an article saying that stock bikes are coming with better and better suspension. And that 10or even 5 years ago the technology we get bone stock would only be found on expensive race bikes. I'm saying this because I noticed that no-one asked what bike or year he had.
Yes, for the most part suspensions on stock bikes have come a long way, but stock suspensions are, and alwasy will be full of comprimise because they have to handle a large array of different riders in general. In short the technology is there, it's just been dumb'ed down for the masses. Getting the suspesion set-up for YOU will almost always show beifits, plus there is always better stuff out there to be had.
For example
If I had the extra money I would be running Ohlins FG670 gas forks, because they are the top of the line (it's what the AMA & World Superbike guys are running), but #1: I don't have and extra $12,000 laying around (yes that's what they sell for, if you can get your hands on them... there is a used set on e-bay now that going for about $6,000) and #2: I wouldn't go any faster with those than I would with a $1200 Ohlins 25mm SB drop in kit, or a set of Ohlins R&T forks with the 25mm SB valves becuase I don't have the expericnece or speed to take advantage of them.

I guess that both Fish and I assumed he had a 04 600RR because of this screen name and the fact he was posting the the 600 modifications area, but you're absolutely right, he very well could be on something completely different.

Maybe I'm pretentious. Admittedly, the only thing I know about suspension is the vocabulary, so I'll just go ahead and put on my flame suit for this post. But hell, I'm a man and had to say my piece.
Na, just pointing out the obivoice since we both made some assumptions based on the lmited info...

Old 02-26-2007, 10:27 AM

Glad I found this topic because I was thinking of buying an Scotts dumper for my 2002 FS.
I want to do some wheelies and I was wondering if a dumper will help when the front wheel is not straight at the contact with the ground after a wheelie.
I experienced a tank slapper some time ago on my CB500 after I hit a bump at 120 Km/h and I don't ever want to go through that again so if a dumper will help even a bit I will buy one.