CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Handlebar weights

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not about steering control. Steering control would be more related to unbalanced tyres and this would be noticeable at high speed I guess.

The vibration I mean is more like a tingle and happens even with the bike stopped in Neutral. It appears more or less after 5000rpms. Last week I took the bike to the shop to fit a new cam tensioner, since the existing one was doing the well-known rattle noise. I thought this might be causing the vibration. But, after the change, although it vibrates less, the vibration is still noticeable.
I guess valve clearance may help to reduce the vibration, but not sure.

I did not know the handle bar has the weights from factory. This diagram actually confirms it:

HONDA motorcycle 2002 CBR600F2 HANDLE PIPE/TOP BRIDGE - Original Honda Parts from Lings Honda

I will check anyway, since I am the 6th owner, so who knows whether they have been removed.

Anyway, could aftermarket weights be any better?

Cheers

Last edited by hebbo; 09-09-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by estate4life
I guess, it's your conscious? If the aluminum bar end cause handle bar to be wiggly? Unstable, especially riding on uneven surface? Your conscious will tell you to get a stronger grip. A tense grip will cause numbness.
I was just asking for you to support your claim as to why the removal of weight would make my hands numb. Im not nervous, and not holding on for dear life- also, my conscious doesn't make the head shake when I remove my hands from the bars-
Now I know that part of the reason the weights are in there is to stabilize the "wiggly" feeling by adding mass due to lack of caster, but I suppose you were going to support your claim by telling me something about harmonics, and blood flow and certain frequencies vibration etc etc.
Very nice blade btw!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:47 AM

jeebus-****-me-with-a-rubber-spoon......the clip-on bar is attached to the fork clamp by a flat-headed screw!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Just ignore my above post....been up all night playing with this pig.

Here's what came out of the throttle tube:

Handlebar weights-cliponweight-001.jpg

Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 AM

Is the weight end the official Honda one?
Did you have to remove the pipe (number 12 in here: HONDA motorcycle 2002 CBR600F2 HANDLE PIPE/TOP BRIDGE - Original Honda Parts from Lings Honda

Last edited by hebbo; 09-09-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:17 AM

Illustration #'s 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 25 are inside the pipe. The bar end weights in my photo are factory Honda. The clip-ons (pipes) don't need to be removed to disassemble the weights. There are holes drilled in the pipes (hidden underneath the handgrips) that part #16 has metal tabs that lock into. These "tabs" gets pushed inwards, releasing the internal weight.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

No issues with stability. They're just there to dampen viabration. I had Alu in there for a while, it's not unbearable but it does speed up the numbness/tingly feeling pretty quickly. I have an after market set in there now thats somewhere between stock and all Alu that have taken the edge off. That and a good set of gel insert grips seem to have done the trick over the years.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Handlebar weights-weight-001.jpg

this pic will show better than i can describe

Old 09-09-2011, 02:22 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea...many times when bar end is scratch, owner may replace with after market ones which is less weight, more or less this will affect the stability. I prefer going back to original Part. Then maybe have it polish or chrome

Originally Posted by hebbo
It is not about steering control. Steering control would be more related to unbalanced tyres and this would be noticeable at high speed I guess.

The vibration I mean is more like a tingle and happens even with the bike stopped in Neutral. It appears more or less after 5000rpms. Last week I took the bike to the shop to fit a new cam tensioner, since the existing one was doing the well-known rattle noise. I thought this might be causing the vibration. But, after the change, although it vibrates less, the vibration is still noticeable.
I guess valve clearance may help to reduce the vibration, but not sure.

I did not know the handle bar has the weights from factory. This diagram actually confirms it:

HONDA motorcycle 2002 CBR600F2 HANDLE PIPE/TOP BRIDGE - Original Honda Parts from Lings Honda

I will check anyway, since I am the 6th owner, so who knows whether they have been removed.

Anyway, could aftermarket weights be any better?

Cheers

Old 09-09-2011, 02:30 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks...matter of fact, it was my first week of owning the blade, then decide to install the chrome aluminum bar end (100% for cosmetic purpose) because I wanted some chrome. After installing, went for a 40 min ride, handle bar wiggle during excel. At one point an un-intended wheelie just happened. Guess my conscious led me to grip tighter...cause numbness after ride. After that, I immediately switch back to the original Honda weight. Believe the 600, 900 & 1000 CBR uses same bar end. After such experience, I rather want safety then cosmetic. It'll be nice to have an extra pair, so I can send 1 pair to chrome shop...

Originally Posted by exciter900rr
I was just asking for you to support your claim as to why the removal of weight would make my hands numb. Im not nervous, and not holding on for dear life- also, my conscious doesn't make the head shake when I remove my hands from the bars-
Now I know that part of the reason the weights are in there is to stabilize the "wiggly" feeling by adding mass due to lack of caster, but I suppose you were going to support your claim by telling me something about harmonics, and blood flow and certain frequencies vibration etc etc.
Very nice blade btw!

Quick Reply: Handlebar weights