CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Handlebar weights

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar weights

The bars have 2 inner and outter weights installed.

Any issues removing them, and just using aluminum bar ends instead?

Old 09-08-2011, 06:41 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shed weight else where but NOT the handle bar. Once you replace bar end with those aluminum ones, your 900rr will feel wiggly...you'll get a numb feel on your hand after riding. Keep those OE weight on.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 PM

So the bar weights make that much difference? I figured there had to be a reason, what with the whole 'weight reduction off every part' philosophy that Honda used. Just seems odd 2 weights were required to achieve the goal.

If its vibration damping they are designed for, I have an idea for substituting the inner weights with something else that deadens vibration. Like maybe filling the bars with latex silicone, candle wax, or even modeling clay? It would be lighter, but still conteract the vibrations? Thoughts?

Truthfully, my hands get numb just looking at a bike nowadays. I use the thinnest Renthal grips available, and wear gloves one size larger to help circulation, but muh paws still go limp after a few minutes in a stationary position.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 PM
February 2012 ROTM

That's true. When I first install those aluminum bar ends, when I throttle, handle bar felt unstable. Especially, when pavement is not perfect like riding on a pot hole or bump. We have 898cc between our legs with a 16" front wheel (this may or may not factor into stability of handle bar). Once I install the original bar end back on, the feel is significantly better. After that, I actually try to increase weight by replacing the mirror stay nuts & bolt using heavy stainless steel alloy. For some reason, I feel the more weight the front end, the more stable when excelerating full throttle. I then realized my attention was solely on the blade, therefore I focus on my own weight 200lb...hit the gym, then lost 20lbs....bike feel so much faster LOL....

Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 PM
February 2012 ROTM

What year is ur blade?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Got pic to share?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Shed weight else where but NOT the handle bar. Once you replace bar end with those aluminum ones, your 900rr will feel wiggly...you'll get a numb feel on your hand after riding. Keep those OE weight on.
Slight hijack here, but if you don't mind, convince me how the lack of weights will make my hands(s) numb???? Reason being; My throttle hand is DEAD numb after about 50 miles, and I am cool on the left, but I think I can move it around a bit more, where the right hand is locked on the throttle-
I also have pro-tec clip ons with alum ends, and no bar weights. at 60 it wants to start its own tank slapper if I take my hands off the bars…….

Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by estate4life
What year is ur blade?
Bone stock '98, Metzler M3 tires, Renthal grips, and Yoshi carbon slip-on. Just bought it last week, only 13K miles.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by exciter900rr
Slight hijack here, but if you don't mind, convince me how the lack of weights will make my hands(s) numb???? Reason being; My throttle hand is DEAD numb after about 50 miles, and I am cool on the left, but I think I can move it around a bit more, where the right hand is locked on the throttle-
I also have pro-tec clip ons with alum ends, and no bar weights. at 60 it wants to start its own tank slapper if I take my hands off the bars…….

Ur not jackin, its cool.

Im interested to see how much vibration increases if I remove the bar weights and use the aluminum ends. The factory clip-ons look like cast aluminum construction, possibly steel. Not sure.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:38 AM
February 2012 ROTM

I guess, it's your conscious? If the aluminum bar end cause handle bar to be wiggly? Unstable, especially riding on uneven surface? Your conscious will tell you to get a stronger grip. A tense grip will cause numbness.

Quick Reply: Handlebar weights