CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Blade FZR Union

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This build is coming right along, looks GREAT though congrats on the work done so far. I wish you luck, although it looks as if you don't need it.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 AM

Cheers Bubba !

Old 05-26-2010, 02:35 PM

Howdie All … Tidying up some loose ends with the wiring at the very front of the bike this last week and I’ve had to YET again remake the front bracket / clock mount. I needed to include the on/off switch as I’d decided not to have a keyed ignition. I picked up a nice little one from an auto parts outlet with a illuminating light. The mount plate is not perfect but until its broken down for the last time it’ll do. I’m anxious to get it up and running and on the track to check it all does what it’s supposed to. Another irritating thing was an issue with the TPS as when I’d wired up the logger I couldn’t get it to read. After a load of head scratching I was missing the connecter between the carb body and sensor. When I took it apart some time ago it must have dropped out.

Name:  TS1.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  56.6 KB

This thing is TINY …. That’s a pound coin next to the bag, real easy to drop and lose… Thanks to David Silver spares for posting this out to me the day following the phone call to them which was only made at lunchtime. Once in all is working as it should.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  29.0 KB

Here’s Bracket the 3rd !!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  72.0 KB

Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 PM

no key switch is a smart move. will the kill switch be blade or fzr? absolutly one the coolest builds ive seen in a long time...well done bro

Old 05-29-2010, 04:42 AM

What makes a good special? I’ve been thinking about this over the last few builds I’ve done and what seems to go wrong IMO is the practicalities. Maybe it’s the finishing touches, maybe it’s the fit of the bodywork, the bits that don’t stay together when used. Some specials get sold pretty soon after they’re finished, most are sold before they’re even completed. I guess the effort needed to just finish one uses up the enthusiasm of the initial idea and there are few that go on to be developed? Is the post build development the key to a great special? Probably need to start a separate thread but I would like to delve a little deeper with you lot out there…..These are my opinions and I’m no expert just a self taught enthusiast.

Back to the build…….. Time to connect the throttle and I have a QA one I’d like to use…

Views: 64
Size:  62.6 KB
Only issue was when I connected the FZR cable it was too short, or rather the inner cable was too short..I had about an 8th of a turn to full throttle! The blade one didn’t fit at the handle bar end with all the adjusters and stuff. I also wanted to do away with the return cable.
Here’s the difference between the two
Views: 61
Size:  76.1 KB

I first thought of removing the nipple from the cbr item and re-soldering one on in the new position. On a previous build I’d made up a set of power valve cables using bare cable and brass nipples with a small grub screw in them and then solder them up. After a bit of thinking though I decided on reducing the outer cable length thus lengthening the inner. Pulling the cable away from an adjuster exposes the ‘make up’ of the outer cable….
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  50.6 KB

Trimming back the plastic sheath, and with the dremmel I carefully cut through the outer taking care not to go too deep and damage the inner. As it is twisted around on itself as I cut through it bit by bit it comes away in rings, I then twist the open ends apart with pliers and remove.

Name:  4.jpg
Size:  44.1 KB

Once it's shortened enough i slide the adjuster over the outer and its done...

Turned out to be very simple…

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  56.3 KB

Getting close now.....

Old 05-29-2010, 05:14 AM

Here you go BAMBAM its the FZR one (I Think)

Views: 68
Size:  30.1 KB

Here’s the choke mechanism, it’s the blade one on the FZR Hanger … Works great !
Views: 33
Size:  54.9 KB

Last edited by fastspares; 05-29-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 AM

sweet , fastspares, i dont think this "special" will be one you part with soon, the power plant is super, and going in a proven FZR chassis, fun doesnt begin to describe this bike...

Old 06-06-2010, 01:35 PM

Just in case anyone was interested, this is an example of the screw on cable nipples I mentioned.. I got a few different sizes from a local bike shop that specialized in Brit bikes, I think it was more common a few moons ago to make up your own…..
Name:  10.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  77.4 KB

Old 06-06-2010, 01:41 PM

I’ve been busy this week mopping up all the little odds and ends, the fiddly bits that need sorting but
Seem to take forever. I‘ve got my hands on a small lathe too and this has made a few things possible ‘in house’ . I needed a spacer first for my new dash/fairing mount to connect to an aftermarket bracket.

Size:  44.5 KB

Views: 62
Size:  34.3 KB

Offered up ready to weld
Views: 41
Size:  27.8 KB
In position ….
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 06-06-2010, 02:29 PM

Another bush needed was an off set one for the right hand side engine mount. This was just before it was parted off….

I really need a good pillar drill as this was a real pain to keep the drill completely vertical whilst drilling the off-set hole. Worked ok and fitted great though . The other issue was the gear linkage rod which needed shortening for the quick shifter. Making sure I kept the Left hand threaded part, the other end was quite simple to drill + tap.

Views: 61
Size:  69.5 KB

Views: 69
Size:  68.3 KB

Views: 71
Size:  72.9 KB
Just a lock nut needed.. but it all works ok and I have enough adjustment if reqd…..

Views: 36
Size:  51.1 KB

Quick Reply: Blade FZR Union