Old 06-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starting with an RR

I'm 6' 1' and 165lbs.
Each much? Damn.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:31 PM

Ill def keep you guys up to date on the whole situation. I have few friends with bikes, who said they would help me out.. As for test driving the bike, I dont even have my Ls yet only temps so we will see if the guy lets me. I am also signed up for the safety course next month....

Old 06-30-2007, 10:25 PM

I bought an 06 RR bout a year ago and it was my first bike. I tell all my friends NOT to do what I did. Yeah I'm still alive and I haven't crashed yet. But I definitely had some close calls (still do) and most of them happened cuz of the power these bikes have. (rear sliding out on me, or front coming up in a turn) If you can control yourself and start out with something smaller cheaper and slower I would recommend it. But if you can't control yourself and you just gotta have that RR then do what everyone else says, go slow, practice, and be extremely careful. That rush of power is intoxicating and it can get you in trouble real quick, just look at all those crash vids on youtube. There's already enough idiots out on the road you don't need to make matters worse by riding something you can't confidently control.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:33 AM

Simple questionto ask about your first bike:

Am I ok with laying this bike down and scratching it up?

Why? You will learn a lot more on a bike that you don't care much about. I have seen enough beginning riders now to know that the ones who push the bike a bit more on the low speed drills tend to learn faster than ones that do not If you are afraid to scratch up your nice new RR, you won't be focusing on how much you can lean over on that figure 8 to make it effective.

Also, having never ridden, you do not know enough about what you like and what you do not to decide between the two machines.

My suggestion, go pick up a used 250cc Ninja. Learn on it for three months, and then upgrade. Chances are, you can sell it for what you paid for it to another wise beginner, or lose a max of a couple hundred bucks. Either way, it is cheaper than fixing one drop on an RR.

I have yet to meet an experienced rider (5+ years) who would not give you the same advice. I have met a lot of young and inexperienced riders that will tell you I am full of it.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 PM

Any bike can get you into trouble if you do not have the presence of mind to take it easy. An RR is alot to start on, but if you take your time, learn the basics, and take the safety courses youMAY make it through the learning curve. However, I will be one of the first to say (having started on a 600) don't start on a new 600. Weomck is a good example of what the bike can do to you if you don't respect it. Learner bikes are ugly, often scratched, and embarassing to ride, but I'd rather not mess up a beautiful bike making a stupid newb mistake.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:40 PM

If you respect the power of the bike I think that either one would be a good choice. I started on an F3 and over this winter moved to an F4I. Last month I traded it in on an 07 600RR. I love the new RR's, I think that the undertail exhaust is sexy. Buy what you like. If you are gonna ride like an idiot it doesnt matter what you buy, you will be dead regardless of the bike. You have to walk into the garage everyday and look at the bike and be happy with it, not us donkeys.

Good luck and be safe.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:11 PM

i agree with ^ i got my 05 RR about 2 months ago and i put about 2500 miles on it the first month. of course have the right people around you to help you ride also helps you progress a lot quicker my buddy who has been riding for about 6 years took me on the back roads and worked on clutching and stop n go's for about the first 2 weeks and then the next i was able to do good enough around town and all that so it was pretty easy for me to pickup not saying it will be for everybody but i picked all of it up pretty fast. RR will catch you sleeping though COUNT ON IT. THEY ARE NOT BEGINNER BIKES. To me these bikes are it for the 600 class i dont think anything around my area will beat my bike. I AM PROBABLY WRONG BESIDES THE BIGGER BIKES. BE CAREFUL ON YOUR BIKE!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well fazt...from your other post you haven't learned anything.
i hope your first bike isn't your last.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:15 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just like to say this...........

As motorcyclists, we only have to be wrong once to end it all.

It's easier for a new rider to go wrong on a 600RR than with a less potent bike. Is a 600RR impossible as a first bike? Not at all. But it's certainly not the best choice.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:47 AM

Well from hearing all of this I have decided to wait untill my MSF class which is next month to choose a bike. I really do not wanna make the wrong choice on a bike, and I would rather get my Ls before I start riding. I have the trouble of making hard decisions so I figured it was better to wait an extra month or two and learn some more before a choose one of the other. I really dont wanna buy a 250 or 500, though it may be a bad choice, I want a 600 bike. Hopefully this will be best for me and I dont regret anything but ultimately this is what I want. In my mind I think I will be a safe rider and enjoy it for the ride not the looks or attention. I love this site and the people on it, the advise helps sooo much. I have my mind towards an 2001 f4i. If anyone is around the cincinnati area and wants to help let me know...

Quick Reply: Starting with an RR