Starting on a honda cbr600?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started on the F4i as well, but I am a VERY conservative/defensive driver. I will tell you this though: Just because you CAN start on a larger bike, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Take it very slow learning on the bike because the amount of power these machines have are ridiculous.

I agree with AF4iK. If you start on a 250R, you learn much quicker and become much more comfortable with the ergonomics and dynamics of a motorcycle. On a 600cc bike, it takes quite longer.

If I could do it all over again, I would take the MSF course (I owe everything to this class) start on a 250R (either old and rickety so I'm not afraid of dropping it OR pay a premium for newer body style) and then advance to a 600cc of choice.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:41 PM

Its all about throttle control. My first street bike was a 1000cc, granted I did start when I was 5 on a little 50cc dirt bike so I was very used to 2 wheels. Starting on a 600 isn't a bad idea as long as you respect the bike and control the throttle. In VA the MSF class will give you your motorcycle license as long as you are 18, if not you get a permit for 9 months. I would highly recommend the class before riding.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a f2 and i think youd be ok solong as you have some clue asto what your doing on a bike. If youve never ever riding a bike be it dirt or road then i say hell no. Go for a 400. Alot of fun with speeds over 200 no worries but small enuf for a good starter.
Whatever you decide enjoy your new bike

Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
People will have different opinions on this. Because you are posting in the 600rr thread, I presume you are looking at buying one. In that event, I'd advise against it. These 100+ hp bikes have a wicked power delivery for the untrained wrist. You can get in a lot of trouble very fast. Not to mention the riding position can be very unfriendly to a new rider. I'm not saying you can't learn on an RR (there are people that do), but there are better bikes out there. If you are set on a 600cc bike, look at an older model (f1,f2). They can be found in good shape and very not a lot of money. Still plenty of power, but a manageable power delivery and an easier riding position. Failing that, a 250 or even a (gasp) ninja 500 isn't a bad option.

All that being said, if your worried about the money so bad, maybe motorcycling isn't for you at this time. It can be an expensive passion (trust me!) and maintenance is expensive if you don't do it all yourself.

I can speak for the truth in this, I started off on an F3. A lot more of an upright feel than the new bikes with an aggressive stance. Plenty of power to get into trouble whether it be in the form of speeding tickets or you on the pavement so don't think that you can push the limits just because it is an older bike. But I would recommend starting on an older F series. Just know that there can be a TON of hidden costs if you don't have the bike checked by a mechanic before you buy. I put around $300 worth of parts into mine after buying and did all the work myself to cut down on mechanics costs.

Good luck, and don't be stupid.