Starting on a honda cbr600?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

must be totally different on your side of the pond. In England we have to do a riding test before we can even take a bike on the road, then after thatwe can only ride a 125 until we have passed a further three tests. even after that, unless you pay more for a test on a 500 you are stuck on a fairly small( 33kw) bike for two years. But, do your safety course before you do anything like has been said. You might find you dont even like riding,
Jeff

Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yorkiejeff
must be totally different on your side of the pond. In England we have to do a riding test before we can even take a bike on the road, then after thatwe can only ride a 125 until we have passed a further three tests. even after that, unless you pay more for a test on a 500 you are stuck on a fairly small( 33kw) bike for two years. But, do your safety course before you do anything like has been said. You might find you dont even like riding,
Jeff
lol? Yea, its called a motorcycle license. Of course you cant just jump on a bike and go, legally anyway. But def is no law regarding the size of the bike. Get a lic and get whatever you want. Our saftey class (MSF) offers incentive on insurance discount but its not affiliated with the DMV. But the creds are recognized.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 AM

ah right, was getting confused lol. thought you could start riding then do your tests and stuff. wish we could ride any size bike from the off though.
jeff

Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 AM
Welcome Crew Technician

Yea, well you could. In my state, you go in and get a Moto permit. Handful of questions and have to get so many right. Then you can ride either with someone who has a Lic, and only during daylight hours I believe?. Keep that like a few months 6 I think, then you go back to the DMV and take the road test and another written test. Not sure if any other state mandates it but some MSF classes will also assist you in taking the DMV test even though its not mandated.

I cannot believe that you are forced to start on a 125 though, that sucks. And 2 years, just wow. How much more is the 500 test?

Edit: Its ok to start on a 125 for sure. I just thought the time length sucked.

-Poss

Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 AM

usually about an extra £300 to go for the bigger test( not sure what that is in dollars) i was lucky and got my test 2 moths before the new test came in. still rode a 2 stink 250 for 6 moths though, just to get more used to traffic. was a revelation when i got my 650 lol went everywhere a couple of gears low just to hear the noise of the engine lol

Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 AM
June 2013 ROTM

Thats crazy expensive jeff. Here, if you have a full car drivers license - getting a motorcycle license is simple. You do a written test ($15), get your learners. You can ride any size of bike (no passenger, and within eyeshot of someone with a full mc licence) for a 2 week learning period. Take a parking lot test (free) to remove the passenger supervisor restriction. After 2 more weeks, take a $50 road test and your good to go after that.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Thats crazy expensive jeff. Here, if you have a full car drivers license - getting a motorcycle license is simple. You do a written test ($15), get your learners. You can ride any size of bike (no passenger, and within eyeshot of someone with a full mc licence) for a 2 week learning period. Take a parking lot test (free) to remove the passenger supervisor restriction. After 2 more weeks, take a $50 road test and your good to go after that.
Damn, I need to move to Canada. But how much time do you really get to ride up there lol. Or you just must ride cold. But I get it though, Im sure you guys get at least a 6 month time period, eh?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:53 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Haha it's really not cold where I live. Many people ride here all year long. We had about 2 days of snow. It's hovering around 9C here now (~48F for you american folk). I might even ride into work tomorrow.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Thats not expensive at all! I paid £2600 for my motorcycle license in norway, and thats on top of my cars driving license that cost £2000. You also cant ride a 35kw+ bike until you turn 24.

Still worth it though

Ontopic: I started on a 600 and have loved it since day 1.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

Originally Posted by WiredF4
Thats not expensive at all! I paid £2600 for my motorcycle license in norway, and thats on top of my cars driving license that cost £2000. You also cant ride a 35kw+ bike until you turn 24.

Still worth it though

Ontopic: I started on a 600 and have loved it since day 1.

Yea, thats crazy for real. My boy lived in Iceland for a bit. The prices there were retarded. Came out to like 20-30 bucks a beer and ****? I forget but, how can they charge you that much money? We dont pay nothing like that here in the US. That is borderline criminal what they make you pay.

I too started on a 600cc. I have no regrets. All you need is throttle control and that bike can pretty much be at any power level. Control.

Quick Reply: Starting on a honda cbr600?