Scooter experience = motorcycle experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o and just one more piece of advice from me, while turning (at all times) KEEP YOUR HAND OFF THE FRONT BREAK!!!!!!!!!! you have no idea how many times i told my friends i "taught" to ride, not to even think about touching the front break in a turn (just practicing in the parking lot), and every single one of them ends up on the ground. i look at them and say, what was your right hand doing before you fell. same answer everytime lol

Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Finish the MSF course + obtain M1 license.
2. Shop around dealer, CL, eBay. You can search eBay seller at nearest location to your city if shipping bike in from another state is not an option.
3. Go see bike with a friend and if you like the bike make offer.

4. If seller wants to sell (dealer or private party) say you don't have insurance yet & do not have gears. Ask seller to help, seller can ride it back to you house, park it & then you drive him home. Pay him after bike is at you home, title signed. If seller don't want to help, you can arrange a truck to go haul it home, bring a few friends to help.

I understand the anxiety going from a scooter to a 600...it's normal. Let things happen naturally...if the sellers wants to sell & you are only like 30-50miles away...unless somethings wrong with the bike, I don't see any reason not to help. I'm happy to have one last ride.

Originally Posted by fmscott2
Ok so here's a question for everyone. What's the best timeline for getting a bike? To me it seems this is the best process:

1. Take MSF course and pass
2. Get full M license
3. Look at bikes privately and at dealers
4. If buying privately, get gear first then get bike second.
5. If buying from a dealer, settle on best bike price and try to get them to include gear as a package.
6. Get your new toy home.

So my biggest question about the process is the part where you pay for the bike and want to get it home. Does the MSF course provide you with enough skills to ride the bike back home? I hear everybody say "spend a lot of time practicing in the parking lot first before venturing out into the road" but how do you get the bike home without hitting the open road? Do you get a friend to ride it for you, rent a truck, etc.? It seems a catch 22 to me.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by steve0o09
not to even think about touching the front break in a turn
I used to stand fall using front brake when I first started to ride. I wasn't even going... slow. So I know not to do this. However, it is our "trained" reaction to tighten the grips on both hand when we are scared. I grew out of doing that somewhat. I think I still hold tight on the left grip. shame on me.

Grabbed Front Brake in Turn - Buell Lowside Motorcycle Crash - YouTube

Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by LilRed F3
At 200lbs a 600cc is all you'll ever need really, around town you'll cruise in 6th gear at 4.5k doing 45 and on the freeway around 7.5k doing 70. Do you really need to be going faaster then those speeds? I think not.
Are you serious? man i cruise around town in 5th at 5.5rpm doing 55 on the streets an i never drop below 7k on the freeway unless there is traffic an thats in 6th going about 80.

HELL YEA U NEED TO BE GOING THOSE SPEEDS!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Locally, not highway/freeway....all you really need is 4th gear at most...why would you want to be at a higher gear/lower rpm..if you need sudden acceleration or torque, a second or two to downshift ain't safe...in a turn or in traffic, always better to be under gear than over...and when letting go throttle, gear braking with a easy press on rear brake will be more effective.