lifter tick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter tick?

so the last few days the RR has been making some odd noise. it sounds like it's coming from the front of theengine (like where the radiator is) it almost sounds like a lifter tick at idle but if i rev the bike up to about 2grand or higher it sounds like stretched timing chain...

i don't have alot of experience with mechanics on motorcycles, but i am an automotive technician, i'm almost positive thats what the sound is...

my question is, has anyone else had this problem or know if this is a normal thing for a bike? the bikes still under warranty and i'm going to take it to the deal later today, i just wanted to know as much about this issue as possable. we all know how dealer ships like to say that it's some big problem and charge you an arm & leg or your first born child. just trying to make sure the stealership doesn't forget the lube when i get the bill

Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Default RE: lifter tick?

1st q...have u recently done a burn out on it?

and

does is sound like a small, lightgrinding ticking noise? or like an actual ticking?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:44 PM

yea i do small burnouts from time to time, and i'm not realy sure kinda like something metal slapping around inside the engine... the dealership said the noise i'm hearing is normal and that it's just more noticable on more bikes (said mines not as bad as most)

Old 04-09-2008, 07:11 PM

well if it is the same noise ii xperiened...its prob just from doing burnouts. ii did one and shortly after ii herd this scratching or light griding come from the front of the bike(by the radiator). it didnt last long tho, which ii was very happy about.

unfortunately ii cant help diagnos the exact problem. it was jus to inform u thats its prob from burning out...sry. iim new to bike.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know how to adjust the lifters on a car you should be able to adjust the lifters on your bike. I think this holds true for motorcycles, if I'm wrong someone please correct me, but the way i adjusted them on other bikes is to loosen them up til they start ticking, tighten them til they stop then go another quarter turn. Its also best to adjust them all while you are at it. Hope this helps, again if this is not the right way to adjust them on a bike, please for gtcoupes sake and mine let me know. Later skater.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:45 PM

it's made the same noise since last season, it's just seems louder lately, just wanted to catch a potential problem before it did actual harm to the engine
ORIGINAL: redbbwoy

well if it is the same noise ii xperiened...its prob just from doing burnouts. ii did one and shortly after ii herd this scratching or light griding come from the front of the bike(by the radiator). it didnt last long tho, which ii was very happy about.

unfortunately ii cant help diagnos the exact problem. it was jus to inform u thats its prob from burning out...sry. iim new to bike.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:47 PM

Nah, these engines have lifters with shims that you have to change out if they are out of adjustment. Also you have to remove the camshafts because there is not enough room to remove the shims otherwise. They suck to do. Is it possible that you are hearing noise causedthe cam chain tensioner backing off from time to time?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 PM

that is a possability, it's kind of an odd noise i haven't heard one exactly like this before, but i'm pretty sure it's either a lifter(s) or a sloppy timing chain either stretched or from the tensioner backing off
ORIGINAL: Tacoma25

Is it possible that you are hearing noise causedthe cam chain tensioner backing off from time to time?