General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine? Tick Tick Tick with Revs

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine? Tick Tick Tick with Revs

Hello all on the CBR forum. I have a 99 CBR 600 fx 24k, my first bike and to be honest not in the greatest condition, whoever had it before my has clearly crashed it, not too bad tho just light scrapes and some split plastic. No service history with the bike However I have had it for 4 months and it has developed a Ticking noise in the last couple of weeks, I do ride it quite hard but nothing silly!. Makes no difference if in gear/moving/cluch in etc but the ticking increases with RPM. It sounds like possibly one of the valves? I have read all the posts on here with PPL talking about CCT etc and how that has helped, but to be honest it does not sound like a rattling noise or anything just a tick tick tick that increases with revs (until I can't hear it over the exhaust!).

Does anyone have any advice? It does not seem to be getting worse and its not a horiffic noise just sounds a little concerning?
a) do you think it will get worse and am I damaging the bike by keep riding it?
b) any advice on what it might be?

Im not particularily mechanical but do understand the general workings of an engine! HELP Please

Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Default RE: Engine? Tick Tick Tick with Revs

I cant tell you from where I am what the noise is, but you need to first isolate the SOURCE of the sound, and once you've got it pinned down you can determine the component(s) making the noise and fix it.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:31 PM

try checking your fuel pump, mine just started to ticking but i can't hear it when its reved up but i felt the fuel pump and when it ticked you can feel it thrue the fuel pump.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

I would get a louder exhaust so that you don't hear it. I'm a technical moron though...

Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 AM

Hello all, thanks for your comments (appart from the exhaust comment, could just take it off turn it nto a moto gp bike :P)

I am still convinced its not the CCT, i have stuck a hose in there to try and find the source of the sound. Its coming from the top of the engine between the middle and where the CCT is, constant tick tick tick tick, only changes with revs. Do you think it could be the valves? I had a look in a Haynes Manual and looks like a real ball ache to check/clean, i assume it can be done with the engine still in the frame.... any ideas or tips!!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 AM

Ok so the fairings are now off along with the fuel tank and other bits. It looks like the CCT has already been changed. It looks a lot newer than the parts around it! So i guess it must be the valves? Question - will the ticking get gradually worse as they get more clogged up etc? is the engine being damaged not having them checked?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:13 AM

not checking/adjusting valves doesnt clog them with anything but the tolerances get tighter and tighter, until ultimately, your valves hang open all the time resulting in a loss of compression and power.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:43 AM

Well, thanks all for your advice, very helpful. Well there is no loss of power at the mo so it cant be too bad! Think ill just leave it until it gets worse (then but a louder exhaust!)! only paid 1900 quid for the bike anyway so i guess getting a garage to sort the valves is not really worth it (bout 400??? any ideas??). Think ill keep it a few more months then got my eye on a bigger bike already, might defect from the hondas tho! gixer 1000 i rekon! I can hear the booooo's from here

Quick Reply: Engine? Tick Tick Tick with Revs