F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lifter tick

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter tick

I changed the oil in the bike a few days ago ( oil was nasty) and since then ive had a real loud tick coming from the head. Sounds like a gunky lifter. Anyone have a trick to clean it out without taking the valve cover off?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel8811
I changed the oil in the bike a few days ago ( oil was nasty) and since then ive had a real loud tick coming from the head. Sounds like a gunky lifter. Anyone have a trick to clean it out without taking the valve cover off?
This might be a dumb question, but did you put the right amount of oil in? If it sounds like bb's rattling in a can and is coming from the right/brake side of the bike it's likely that it's your cctl (check out the sticky thread here in the f4i section). You can add some marvel mystery oil to your oil in the does they mention on their site to help clean out the motor, but I wouldn't leave it in there for a full oil change. Change it out sooner to be safe.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whilst I agree that it is likely to be the CCT, oil cleaning products are a load of shit, don't stick them anywhere near your bike.

The process of cleaning the CCT is the same as replacing it, dunk it in some clean engine oil and rotate it in and out a few times to free it up, it's been done to death on here so I won't go into it but as above, it is a metallic rattle emanating from the upper RHS of the engine. It seems to be about a 50/50 split of opinion if the rattle is just annoying or potentially damaging.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:31 PM

+3 on cct

Old 02-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Its not the cct. I replaced it last year with a manual one and this rattle sounds nothing like it. This is more of a tick than a rattle.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM

And yes correct amout of oil as well.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel8811
And yes correct amout of oil as well.
Ok, I guess you just recently got this bike and from your description the of the oil I assume it was neglected. Marvel mystery oil, kreen, seafoam, and others are made for this type of situation. I suggest trying MMO in the recommended dose which is replacing 10-25% of the crankcase capacity w/ it.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Lifters love mystery oil. I'm not sure I'd hammer on the bike while you have it in there but leave it in for a few hindered miles anyway so it can do its thing.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are no lifters on a DOHC engine. If your manual CCT is adjusted correctly then the noise could be weak spring or a keeper about to let go. Check your oil level and if it's good then have someone you believe is knowledgeable about bikes take a listen. Not saying you're imagining anything but I've found that many bike owners are a bit over zealous thinking every little sound is something about to let go

Grinding noises or strange harmonic noises are something to worry about. Most modern motorcycle engines seem noisier than they really are because they are out in the open. You might have noticed that they can sound like they're about to explode in a small garage but take it outside and it purrs like a kitteh.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Banned

I wouldn't put marvel or any other bull**** in because that **** runs through the tranny too. Don't get me wrong I have a soft spot for marvel mystery oil but I wouldn't risk having the clutch slip.

Try to see if it's coming from the right side - it's possible that your manual cct just needs an adjustment, or like others said, double check your oil level and all that.

I've had to play with my modified stock cct (basically a manual) several times to get it about right and it still makes noise here and there.

Quick Reply: Lifter tick