Can a Motorcycle tire be patched up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can a Motorcycle tire be patched up?

Luckily, i have not needed to patch a motorcycle tire (dirt or street) in my years of riding, but it would never happen to me or anyone I know b/c I/we would buy a new tire-my *** is worth more than $200. Much more of a chance of tire failure with a patch, than without one. Why risk it when that's a risk you can control (kind of)? We have plenty of unknowns to worry about on the street.

I don't gamble with $, so why skin? Your choice though.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:12 PM

Any one?

Old 07-14-2006, 05:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F, uh... there all dead.

I support your choice, to even race w/ 'em... but you have to admit... the general sport conscensice is, a punture, will freaquently cut cords,replace that tire, as soon as possible.
Do you tech, before your allowed to start???? Do they ask, do you have plugs, in your tires??? Do you voluntier this info, even if they don't ask??? If I were anywhere as fast as you,( I'm not !!!!!!!)IMHO, It would be all the more reason, to toss out a plugged tire and get rubber,w/ evrything going for it. Discretion, the better part of valor !!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 07-20-2006, 02:33 AM

I've dragged race on a normal plugged tire.

I'd never use anything except an umbrella patch again. Just use lots of glue and rebalance that rim and tire.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:06 AM

Damaged tire=NEW TIRE

Dont take risks with your life over money.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:34 AM

I'd go with a max of one umbrella patch in the rear and only for a clean puncture ie a small nail and then re-balance it after.
But I would not patch the front under any circumstances.[sm=badidea.gif] Replace only!

10-20psi low in the rear you could probably ride it out but 10-20psi low in the front=crash

Old 09-07-2006, 11:48 PM

I would toss a tire with a hole. the patches are for street cars or bike tires used for smoking only. I know I would be pissed sitting there in a ditch with some of my bike next to me with my arm or leg broken thinking hum was it the patch that made it go or was it just that time???

Old 09-08-2006, 04:11 AM

I rode on a bran new tire and ended up getting a piece of glass in it. Only a small 1/2 inch cut and I had it patched. I rode hard all the time with that tire and never once thought twice about it being patched. Not everyone dies from going down either.

If you think that your not going to trust the tire anymore than get a new one but if you are happy with the work that your dealer does than just patch it as long as its not a big hole.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

Just out of curiosity, how many of you "just buy a new one" supporters have gone down or know someone that has gone down because of a patched tire? I'm not talking a story you read on the Internet or a blow out because of something else...a real incident from a patched tire...any one?
Anyone yet?

Old 09-08-2006, 04:59 PM

I'm also wondering ? Because if the patch is done correctly, the hole isn't large enough to affect the integrity of the tire, and you balance it the tire should "in theory" be as good as new.

My only reason for not patching a front is because they are so much narrow than the rear so the chances of the integrity being compromised is greater and if it blows it's more dangerous than the rear. My reason for not patching the rear more than once is more supertious (tire must be bad luck) but really if the old repair and the new aren't close together it shouldn't matter either. Really, even if the patch leaks (which would probably be slowly) you should be checking your tire pressure every couple days and giving them a squeeze before every ride so if it's low by more than 10 psi you should know about it before your ride anyway.