How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How to change a motorcycle tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change a motorcycle tire

Me and my friend are gonna try it today. the guy makes it look so easy. Sorry if it was a repost but it can help most of us. Its been on youtube since 2007

How to remove a motorcycle tire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pfp2Z9k0n0&feature=related
How to install a motorcycle tire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AerHAYs435s
how to balance a motorcycle tire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WHkSPZJ3fI&feature=related

He does it so simple and easy. Im going to try it next time i remove a tire

Old 11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Why go through all that work to get the tire off the rim? Find a way to break the bead then use a sharp razor knife and cut out a 1-2inch section out of middle of the tire all the way around. This technique is very easy if your tires are worn slick in the middle. Pull the pieces off by hand. This reduces the chances of scratching your rims.

Follow video for install.

Remember when installing your new tires to put the dot or bar code found on most tires at the valve stem. Getting the tire on the rim in the correct place will reduce the weight needed for balancing the tire. I have seen new tires not require any weights. I took my front tire to a motorcycle shop to check the balance last year and with no weights in showed all zeros.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 AM

Alot of Help. Good way to save some cash in these hard times

Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 PM

me and my friend tried it today... it actually is fast if you follow it step by step... we didnt use those rim protectors, used a flat tupper wear cover lol... it didnt take less than 5 mins liek this guy... maybe 20 mins to take off a little more to put on... its our first time doin it but it works... i didnt balance yet because i dont have something to go thru the rim but i plan on goin 2 the hardware store for a skinny copper pipe to fit... we did the front tire, the rear looks like its a bit harder tho

Old 11-04-2009, 09:23 PM

one thing that stuck out to me was in the 2nd video he said if you are struggling to do it, you are doing it wrong which is true... me and my friend were doing it wrong for some time... and its good to have an Iphone... you can watch it right there with you

Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 PM

wow... This video is very helpful for me. It is easy for me to follow step by step.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not watch the video but I have changed tires for 10+ years. The #1 thing to remember is don't let the bottom seat. With the low profile tires we run if the bottom seats you will NEVER get the top side over the rim. Once you learn this trick it truly only takes 20 minutes to remove and mount a tire.

As for balancing ... fark that crap. Dyna beads or their equivalent are just little pieces of heaven and just plain work awesome!! If you are going for a track record then you'll need to static balance the tire. But if you can afford and extra 2-3 ounces of unsprung weight then the dyna beads are the shiz-nit

Old 11-05-2009, 11:37 PM

now that i know this im gona start practicing so i never have to pay 50 to change a tire

Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just pay the $32ea to get em changed

Quick Reply: How to change a motorcycle tire