Buzzing sound is getting unbearable

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing sound is getting unbearable

I have the worst buzzing sound coming from my 3rd headlight at 4-6k rpms. It has become so loud I think other cars are hearing it now. I have removed the windscreen and tried wedging some paper in to stop it. No go. I only have 370 miles on the bike, so I have been waiting until the 600 mile mark to take it in. The dealer better be able to do something, its so distracting.

Also, I've read that the speedometers are off on bikes, but at about 10% full scale. (Meaning about 18 mph off at 180 mph) It seems like when I'm doing 50 in a 40, I'm just keeping up with traffic. When in my truck, i'm doing 40-42 and keeping up with traffic on the same road. (I ride it everyday to work, its very consistant) Is my speedo off by that much @ 40 mph?

Old 07-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Default RE: Buzzing sound is getting unbearable

Your speedometer should be dead on if the bike is stock and your going about 30 or 40 mph you just have to get used to riding it.

Are you sure that its your third eye thats buzzing? because RR's are known to have a very loud buzz at about 5k and it is actually the plastic gas tank cover that is vibrating against your tank/ecu which is right underneath it.......if you are riding in a low gear or whatever at about 5k just push down on your tank right below where that "safety" sticker goes or somewhere in the middle of the big indent is on the plastic tank cover....the noise should stop.

but as far as fixing it you have to take your tank cover off and i put dynomat on the spot underneath that was rubbing you could see exactly where it was there was rub marks...and put it back on....problem solved....people also yous double sided tape...or anything else your imagination could think of

Old 07-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NicIsSlick

Your speedometer should be dead on if the bike is stock and your going about 30 or 40 mph you just have to get used to riding it.
Wrong answer, I (and others I know) have proved this with GPS.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:07 PM

wear ear plugs and go with the traffic flow...problem solved...

Old 07-20-2007, 02:49 PM

It is the 3rd eye, I verified by standing in front of the bike with the windscreen off and revvingtoabout 5kwhile applying pressure to it. I'm just going to have to do a better job of stuffing something behind it, or wait until I take it to the dealer :/ . I think the tank cover buzzing was an issue on 06 and earlier model years.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:27 PM

how many mph was your bike off at 30 to 40 mph after you used your gps?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:26 PM

Hmmm I have not notice any buzzing sound on my cbr yet, all I can hear is my motor/exhaust screaming doing 12-15 grand. I do make sure every other rides I tighten up my bolts and screws.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:35 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 06 600RR, the buzzing was getting annoying, but it'll go away after you get some miles on her. Mine went away completely without me having to do anything at around 1500 miles. The plastic tank cover rubs up against some stuff underneath it (so I've been told). You can take your tank cover off and see where it's rubbing, or just put up with it for a couple hundred more miles and it'll work it's way out.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:24 AM

I can understand that your stock speedo could be off but i cant see honda sending them out 10 mph off from the factory it just doesnt seem right to me i know there is always flaws in things but that much to actually notice when you are riding without any gps come on man...

although i have never used a gps on my bike i have rode next to a couple of buddies cars and we always were pretty much the same . i guess im open to some error but not to the degrree of what he stated in his first post

Old 07-21-2007, 02:15 PM

Listen to TheX on this one.

Your motorcycle speedometer is off, BY DESIGN.

My speedometer has been off on every motorcycle that I have owned, that I have checked with a GPS. It is not consistent throughout the range. The best way to check is to run a GPS on your motorcycle, and see how much you are off, and where. Also, a GPS isn't necessarily 100% accurate, but should be close enough for this matter.

Mine reads 75mph when the GPS reads 70. Your mileage may vary.

I am told that the odometers are spot on (by law), but I have no way to verify this.

- this is also a good reason not to answer the officer when he/she asks "How fast were you going"... the simple matter, his/her instrument should be properly calibrated, yours probably isn't!