CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Noise when engine breaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when engine breaking

Hey everyone. I have a 1999 f4 with 11000 miles and i just changed my oil. I put in 4 quarts because on occasion i like to bring my front end up and dont want to run the engine dry. A couple days after that i started to notice a small whinning/clicking noise when im downshifting and slowing down. The noise is only there when i am not on the throttle at all. It runs and accelerates wonderfully. Does anyone have any suggestions? Oh i also added a little tap water to the coolant system because i didnt know that it needed distilled. I plan on flushing it asap.

Thanks for any help!!

Old 06-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Default RE: Noise when engine breaking

Honestly I'm not a stunter, so I can't tell you if adding extra oil is going to help you or not. I can however tell you that the way the oil pan is designed, and where the oil pickup is, you really don't need any extra oil to have the pickup be submerged. The pickup is in the back (close to the tranny) and the oil pan is sloped downward to the pickup. The only way I could see the pickup not getting oil is if youre 12 oclocking it often, at which point most of the oil is going to end up in the back of the tranny instead of in the oilpan.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 AM

Thanks rabbit, I drained a little oil so it should be solid. I think its the CCT makin the noise. I am going to make an adjustment to it asap. Im also considering a manual APE CCT. I am not sure if its the problem. Anyone have advice on this subject? I know the Hondas have problems with the CCT but im not sure if it is the root of my problem. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:35 AM

does it sound like its got a supercharger? thats ur cct. leave it alone. and unless u have an adjustable one, u wont be able to adjust it!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:36 AM

o and my bikes got like 15ish k on it and has had not one problem with the cct!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:47 AM

Ya, CCT problems are overrated, and it is slightly adjustable. Unscrew the lock bolt on the end of the cct and stick a little flathead screwdriver in there, if you turn to the right (like you're tightening the screw) you'll back the CCT lobe out. If you turn the otherway you'll push the lobe further in. What I would suggest is take off the cap that covers the right end of the crank (it's a 17mm nut) and have a friend slowly turn the crank over (14mm bolt)a few times by hand while you're using the screwdriver trying to push the lobe out further (turning it to the left). If you're lucky it will back out a little bit more and put more tension on the cam chain, and you'll lose the rattling noise. The CCT is designed to only get tighter (unless you're playing with the screw) so unless the internals of it are screwed it will hold that tension. Good luck!