CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

what did i get myself into! "new" 95 cbr600

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by detroitcbr
Update: battery came, I did a 2nd much more thorough Carb clean while I was waiting, the bike fired right up with a couple sprays of starter fluid but I ran out of time to reattach the gas tank, and I want to reclean it first anyway. Hopefully more to update tomorrow!
+100. great to hear it fired up! update us on the rest. and keep in mind once you put the tank back, you are probably gonna be holding the start button for a while since the carb's fuel bowls will be empty. just be patient, it may take a bit of time for the fuel to get down there..

Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 PM

update! I'm still not happy with how clean my gas tank is ( i put so much time into cleaning the carbs i'm not willing to put anything resembling a dirty tank onto the bike ) i decided to gravity feed some gas into it and see what happened and.....it runs!

let me know what you guys think, it took a couple trys to get it going and stay on, at first it was dying after maybe 15 seconds or so, in the video it ran until i killed it.

i know the video quality isnt great its off my phone but i was so excited it started up i wanted to put it on here!

YouTube - ‪106.3gp‬‏

Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 PM

congrats bro. im in the process of doin the same. mine has been in storage almost 2yrs. still got the carbs to tackle.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM

doesn't sound bad. some advice tho,
first, when attempting to start a cold carb motor, always have the choke on full. once it starts and the rpms spike (around 4k) back the choke off a little bit to get them to drop to around 1.5-2k rpms. just let the engine run. dont mess with the throttle. as the engine warms up, it will spike the rpms back up to 4k. then you can back the choke off again. after this process happens about 3 or 4 times, thats when my bike's temp is good for riding. it may vary by bike, but thats my suggestion. also, the main reason why i think you are having a "hard start" situation right now, is because the fuel bowls in your carbs are not full. again, going through the start/warm-up suggestions i gave, it they should fill back up relatively quickly. the bike has to be running or turning over for them to fill, so just get it started and let it run without messing with the throttle, and you should be fine...im sure once you have the tank back on and are not trying to start it from a jug, it will be a lot easier
GL

Old 06-12-2011, 10:50 PM

Thx Ill Def try it that way when the tanks back on

Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The video is good enough to tell it's not running right. Something else is wrong. Either vacuum leak, or plug wires not routed correctly. Go back and check to see that you have every hose properly attached and double check to see that you have the correct plug wire going to the correct cylinder. It's not firing on all cylinders. If you have one of those infrared thermometers, after letting it run for a few minutes, you'll notice a marked difference in the temperature of the exhaust header pipes. The cooler one's are not firing right.

You're getting there, she's starting to show signs of life.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 AM

look again IDoDirt.... he has no air filter box on there.... That could be his problem

Old 06-13-2011, 01:20 AM

after listening again, I do agree..... It's not running on all 4. But too Detroitcbr, make a Video of it with the air box all the way on, with filter installed...... lets here it then

Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 AM

Ill check connections and put everything together after work thanks guys

Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by jveach
after listening again, I do agree..... It's not running on all 4.
same here. i mostly noticed the hard start and was glad to hear it running. i definitely didnt notice the back firing and sluggish revs the first time around

Quick Reply: what did i get myself into! "new" 95 cbr600