CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

what did i get myself into! "new" 95 cbr600

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking what did i get myself into! "new" 95 cbr600

Hey everyone! New member here from Michigan. I'll try an keep this short. I've been hanging around CBR Forum for a couple weeks after a friend offered to sell me his 95 F3 for 500 bucks. I ended up getting it the other day and thought I would put it up here for inspection! This is my first bike and I've got to say I have a fair mixture of excitement and apprehension. The bike is in pretty rough shape (in my opinion) and doesn't start right now. It has been sitting for 4-5 years with no maintenance.

My plan is to attempt to get it running myself, with possibly the help of a couple friends and hopefully the amazing people here at CBR!

My plan of attack in a not too specific order is;

-Drain and clean the gas tank ( gas WAS left in it)
-Change the oil and replace filter
-Change air filter
-New battery
-Clean the carbs
-New tires (professionally installed or DIY not sure yet)

I feel comfortable with everything except for the carbs, it seems somewhat daunting, however hopefully my confidence will grow a little working on the bike and i will save that for one of the last things.

Obviously I am aware that other issues/problems will most likely pop up, but I am trying to be optimistic about getting her up and running! Cross those bridges when I get to them basically.

I would LOVE any input, suggestions, links, or advice from anyone. I am BEYOND excited to be joining the CBR community and I just really hope I can get this old girl back to her former glory!

Last edited by regener8ed; 05-23-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: images no workie
Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Hey, welcome to the forum and you've got a beauty there, seriously. Everything you've described is easy to do by the home mechanic. If you're willing to take the time and not rush it, you'll have that running in no time at all. The carburetors are a little daunting because they look so complicated (and they are), but really it's not that difficult to take them apart and put them back together again. If you're on a tight budget (I know who's not these days) don't skimp on the gaskets and O rings for the carburetors. If you service them right this first time, then you won't have to mess with them for years to come.

Good luck and let us know what you need.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'm finishing up some work on a 98 F3 that had been sitting for one and a half to two years. Bike didn't start either. I cleaned the carbs, got new plugs, oil and filter, new fuel filter, new fuel line from petcock to filter (that rubber gets pretty brittle after sitting all that time), put it all back together. Bike still didn't start. I knew fuel wasn't getting to the carbs, isolated it to the fuel pump. Turned out to be seized so I jumped it, got the pump going and the bike running. Runs like a champ!! Some patience, some TLC will all be worth it once you hear that bike fire up!! Good luck!! You'll get her goin.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement. What did you start on first Boone, and did you have any prior bike experience?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 PM

I monkied around for a bit on that bike. Started with the plugs just to see if anything would happen. Next time I think I'd dive right into cleaning the carbs. Once you get the carbs out theres a lot more room to look around and inspect everything even change the plugs. I've been ridin and wrenchin on bikes since I was about 12 but this is the biggest bike engine I've messed with. These guys on here know what there doin for sure. Theres lots of posts on carb cleaning. Label your hoses, remember where everything goes. Check out older posts!! Lots of very important info there!! Being from the motor city your probably a natural!! Goodluck, keep us posted. Cheers to the forum!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I agree with Boone here. Also, in line with remembering where everything goes... the digital camera is your friend. Take photo's of everything. Close shots, far shots, things you think you'll never have to remember. This way you've got it all covered. When you're done, you can just delete the photo's and it cost nothing.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 PM

Haha thanks guys ill definetly keep ya posted I'm sure ill have lots of questions, actually I got one now. The bikes missing the left peg, any ideas where to fond one cheap, does it have to be an f3 peg or will an f2 or other model fit?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 PM

I'm pretty new to these bikes myself, but Ebay always seems like a popular answer.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 PM

Not 100% on the peg. Check E-bay, craigslist. Back to original post. First, if I was you, I'd be sure your gas tank and hoses, etc. leading in to the carbs are clean. No sense in cleaning the carbs if your running nasty petro into them.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 AM

shes a beauty, she looks just like my Violet, but i dont have cowling stickers. good luck, im gonna have to bust open my carbs to rejet for my new pipe. Do a step by step w photos so others can follow for years to come. good luck

Quick Reply: what did i get myself into! "new" 95 cbr600