CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

how to do spark test? bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to do spark test? bad fuel pump?

Aloha guys,

I'm new here. I've been reading from this forum for couple months now since i'm doing some mod on my bike. I'm havin problems starting my bike. i wanna know how to do spark test . The manual said disconnect the spark plug wires and connect a known good spark plug and ground it , then what? tried to start it and didn't get sparks. and also on my fuel pump, i did all you guys said when testing the fuel pump (from other threads). i connected the fuel pump directly to the battery and it's working fine but when i put it back on and start the bike the fuel pump isn't pumping, is the fuel pump bad?

Here's the whole story:

I've been working on my F3 for a year now. It took me this long cause i only work on it 3x a month. Before i store it, i drained the fuel all the way to the carb just like what i read about storing bikes. I made it a streetfighter. put a single-sided swingarm, short akrapovic exhaust underneath the engine, put an f4i tail and undertail, acerbis headlight, f4i guage, custom made belly pans, custom radiator cover, etc. Before i start it last week, i put new oil, new coolant, new battery, new spark plugs. I already expected i'm gonna have problems starting it and i don't know which one, that's why i'm here asking for you guys help...

MUCH MAHALO!!!!

Old 11-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: how to do spark test? bad fuel pump?

There might be a couple things going on with the fuel pump.
1. There might not be any power to the pump when the ignition switch is in the on position. If this is the case, you're going to have to get a wiring diagram and trace the circuit and see where the circuit is broken at. This is an easy check; make sure there aren't any blown fuses. If there aren't any blown fuses, you're going to have to poke and prod to see if there is power to the pump.
2. There is a vent on the tank that allows air to come into the tank. This vent allows for the fuel level to drop as the pump moves the fuel from the tank to the carbs. If this vent is blocked, it could stop the pump from working... I mean not pumping any fuel. As the fuel is pumped out of the tank, air takes the place of where the fuel was. If there was no vent, it would create a vacuum.

In regards to the plugs, you can not touch the frame of the bike. The frame is painted and doesn't allow the plug to ground. Plugs will not spark unless they have a ground. You will have to touch the plug you are testing to a bolt... like the engine mount bolts. If there aren't any bolts within reach, look for bare metal to touch the plug too.

If you need a wiring diagram or the fuel system diagram, I can send some scanned pictures to you. They would be out of the Honda manual. Hope this gives you something to work with.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:28 AM

Thanks for the reply marc0011,

I got sparks so that wouldn't be the problem.
I tested the circuit for the fuel pump and looks ok. i also tested the relay and it's ok. I tested the pump with the gas tank connected and also with just the funnel on the petcock and still don't think the fuel pump is pumping. The engine just cranking but no start.
FYI. The bike was working fine before i stored it.

Much Mahalo for the help!!

Old 11-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm... very interesting. I am thinking of trying out a couple things. Just a thought, is the filter good? There is also a screen in the tank that could get gummed up. Just check them for process of elimination. I was thinking about disconnecting the incoming fuel line to the pump and just open the petcock valve. If you can, run a fuel line into a container so there isn't a big gas spill. See if you’re getting fuel to come out. You could have a bad petcock valve. If there is good stream, connect the incoming back to the pump. Pull off the output of the pump. Connect a fuel line long enough to run into a container. Turn on the bike and see if the pump is putting out. Hopefully this turns something up.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:31 AM

HOLY S**T!!!!!

the bike just start!!!!!!!!
i didn't do anything...my baby just start...!!!
LOL..LOL!!
i was so worried.....

THANKS A LOT marc0011....

i'll post my bike's pic once i put it all together...

ALOHA and MAHALO!!!!