General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

929 no spark/fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 929 no spark/fuel pump

I just recently bought a 2001 cbr929 for $600. The bike was crashed and sitting for a year or so, I checked compression, lapped the valves, put a new clipon and foot peg on, got a battery....but I dont have spark and my fuel pump doesn't prime. If I ground the fuel pump before the ecm it works fine. All other components work like lights, relays, engine cut off switch, ignition, turs signals.... My FI light is on with the fi simbol. My bankangle sesor gets current through it when it is tipped over and no current when up-right, I think thats how its supposed to work right??? I tried another ecm too....either I got ripped off when I bought the ecm, or I am missing something. Does anyone know of a wire I may have unplugged, or something that may cause this problem....?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:42 AM

jump the yellow and green wires together to bypass teh tip sensor

Old 10-26-2009, 06:54 AM

If I tip the sensor the relay clicks...so Im pretty sure its working. I was told I should ground whatever I can out of the ecm and my fuel pump to see if it'l start, If it starts, then i would probably have a fried wire in the harness. Does that sound right?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 AM

on a wrecked bike, it could be any number of things, single or multiple. the best thing to do is start ruling things out.

My first step, since your bank angle sensor appears to be working, would be to check the killswitch. with the killswitch in the off position, (or faulty), it will allow the bike to crank over, but the fuel pump will not work nor will it allow spark. You may just have a bad connection at the killswitch.

After that, my next step would be to make sure the fuel pump relay is working along with the pulse generator.

Other things to consider would the the kickstand switch, the neutral safety switch, or the clutch switch. these would not allow the bike to turn over, so its highly unlikely these could be the cause, but with a crashed bike, you never know whats going on.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:49 AM

I have power through my kill switch all the way through the wiring harness and if I shut it off I dont, so thats working, and If I ground my fuel pump it works with the ignition.... So its something else thats controlling spark and fuel. Whats the pulse generator?

Last edited by 929 knee down; 10-28-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:39 PM

the pulse generator is a sensor that is located on the clutch side. If it fails, the ignition doesnt get spark. But this doesnt explain why you don't have fuel.

there is also an engine stop relay that may be faulty. Basically, the Bank Angle Sensor triggers the engine stop relay, then that stops the engine, which would explain why no spark or fuel pump.

there is a also a fuel cut off relay, but that wouldnt explain why you have both fuel and spark not working.

Even though the BAS clicks, it may not be working within the correct range. I would bypass it and see if its working for sure. Unplug it and jump the two outer wires on the plug together

the best thing to do is get a service manual if you don't have one and go with thier suggestions.
check out this link.
http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/CBR/

Old 10-28-2009, 08:36 PM

Just for an update. I do have an adoby file computer honda manual for the bike...I just dont have the petience to look through it so I am trying to print it, with a heck of alot of ink. I took my tank and airbox off so I could get to all of my wires. I checked all of my grounds today and my kick stand switch. The kickstand safety switch works as it should and my grounds all work before and after my ecm. So im starting to think a bad bankangle sensor like the last post said, I just didnt remember what wires to jump lol, so Ill try that next. Any other suggestions to what effects spark?

Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 AM

Ill give that a try. Oh, and thats the manual I have, I got it from a honda sevice tech. Im also going to try to barrow an ecm, that way I know the ecm is not it for sure, well if the bas idea doesn't work

Old 10-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

just curious are you sure you have the BAS facing the correct way ? what you think might be "Correct" might actaully be th wrong way ? i know it sounds too simple and kinda dumb but ive seen it happen over and over again .

Old 10-30-2009, 05:08 AM

Yes, I had that right side up. The flat part was up and the bell part was down, along with the up arrow pointing up. I by passed it and I got current to my coild. I didnt have time to check for sure spark, But by passing it allowed the wires to be hot. However it didn't get me fuell. I double checked and wired my fuel pump to a batery, and it does work. Now fo something even more confusing, The fuel pump has bower in and out and a ground right? The ground is grounding, But i have slight current coming in the middle wire and no current in the outside wire but when I hook the pump to a batery, the outside wire is the power and the green is the ground. I guess I should also say that I work at a motorcycle shop...But I am also 18. Im new to electrical by all means, This bike is sure teaching me a heck of alot.

Quick Reply: 929 no spark/fuel pump