CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

How to test fuel pump (startng issues)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She starts but idles very rough. Ideas?

Hey guys, my bike hasn't been started in about two months now. Right before I put it away I changed the spark plugs and battery and it ran fine. Now it won't start at all. It cranks but it never starts. I took off the carbs and cleaned them but still no luck. My first attention is the fuel pump.

I put 1.5gal of gas in the tank and made sure the petcock was on, replaced the fuel filter and when I crank it, no fuel comes out of the hose from the pump. I have the fuel filter oriented correctly so its not that. I actually bypassed the fuel pump and connected the tank straight to the carbs but that didn't even start it. After each time I try to start it, I open one of the one of float bowls drain screw to see if it filled but fuel never comes out. When I drained them before removing the carbs, fuel did come out. So something is up and I'm at at lost.

Can you guys help me please?
Thanks

Last edited by M1ke; 04-16-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:04 AM

Sounds like my issue, basically what i did was filled the fuel filter up with gas and mine started, after a month of sitting their wasnt much gas left tryed to start it and nothing.
But if u bypassed the pump and it still wont start then it may be something else.

Iv done everything you have done, and now iv got a fuel pump shipping to me. When i get it, ill post here if that was the issue.

When u turn the key put your hand on the fuel pump it should vibrate when starting not just click.
If it doesnt vibrate, its bad.
Atleast thats what iv come to the conclusion after reading so many threads.
Good luck man

(did u crank it so much that u flooded the plugs? might have to take them out and wipe them off been their done that, u can try shooting starter fluid in the two induction tubes but youl have to have someone shoot the stuff n their and u try starting it right after words.)

Last edited by EViR; 03-30-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the idea! I did get it to start after filling up the fuel filter and then trying. I guess that the air inside doesn't have an easy escape route and causes the fuel not to come down into it.

So after it started I hooked it back up to the fuel pump like normal and it started a few more times then wouldn't start. I bet the it just used up the fuel in the bowls and the pump may actually still be suspect.

Also, when it did start it ran like crap. The slightest choke made it rev WAYY too much. I will say that the smaller of the two T fittings under the airbox for the air bypass hoses cracked and needs replacing. I have to lookup what those two hoses are for but I'm hoping when replaced, it will run normally.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:02 AM

its ur fuel pump, just put mine on and it filled the fuel filter up instently started right up.
Bikebandit.com 99.01 free shipping.
Ez fix

Good luck

Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 AM

which one was only $99? The one they show for a 99cbr600f4 is $175!!

Old 04-08-2013, 01:17 AM

1999 Honda CBR600F4 Parts, 1999 Honda CBR600F4 OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

#5 fuel pump assembly retail - 139.62 theirs - 99.01

Real ez to change to lift the tank up, then unclip and pull the filter out from the bottem.

When u unclip the fuel filter unclip it to where the fuel filter will be left on the tube from the tank.

Hardest part is getting the rubber that holds it in place off the old one.
2 bolts by the fuel pump youl know what im talking about.

Let me know, sorry it took so long!.
Youl know if it was your pump cuz if it was. Your fuel filter will be empty and right when turning the key on or trying to start the engine the pump will kick on and fill it up, gushing sounds.
It was heaven.LOL

Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 AM

The usual problem with the fuel pumps is the electrical contacts in the end of it.
The pump part is very reliable.

You can buy replacement contacts for the fuel pumps at much less money than a new pump and it only takes 10 mins to fit them with a little soldering.

See here - Honda CBR 600 F PC35 2000 Fuel Pump Repair Kit Petrol Points Switch | eBay

Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM

Hey Guys, I have been running my F4 without a fuel pump since I have had it, I even got a new motor and still no fuel pump. It has been known to cut off on long interstate drives and when the motor is pulling high rpms for a few miles. Could this be why?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dean0
The usual problem with the fuel pumps is the electrical contacts in the end of it.
The pump part is very reliable.

You can buy replacement contacts for the fuel pumps at much less money than a new pump and it only takes 10 mins to fit them with a little soldering.

See here - Honda CBR 600 F PC35 2000 Fuel Pump Repair Kit Petrol Points Switch | eBay
That must only be a popular fix in the UK as there is only one for sale in the US and it is almost $50 shipped. I might as well just get the whole pump from bikebandit for $99.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:01 PM

So I will order a new fuel pump soon but it doesn't seem like that is my only issue.

How out of synch can the carbs get after removing them and cleaning them? Could they just be out of synch? It idles very rough and any additional throttle kills it. Once it begins to warm up, it needs more and more choke until there is none left and it dies and won't start back up.

Quick Reply: How to test fuel pump (startng issues)