CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

HELP PLEASE!! Voltage Regulator Repair

Old 05-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP PLEASE!! Voltage Regulator Repair

Alright guys,

1st, this is my first CBR and third bike overall, and the short one ride I have had on it has been awesome.

I bought it with a defunct regulator, so I went and grabbed another honda replacement from a scrap yard. (Not an F3 Regulator but should work from what I have read).

The previous owner had soldered the pins to the plugs and it looks like he had siliconed the connections in.

I put the pins on the new regulator yesterday, and put cables on my bike to just see if it would start.

As soon as I attached the cables, I started getting smoke from the regulator connection, and the bike kept cranking, but wouldn't turn over.

Also, the regultor got hot as s***.

I figured a regulator from a Honda would work..Am I better off to solder the wires into the tabs on the regulator and call it a day?

Why is it still smoking?

Some one please help me, I am still very Newb at this.

Tony

Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM

If that regulator was for an F3 it would have plugged right up but since the previous owner cut the wires your going to need a wiring chart to do it right. Also, a lot of F3 owners have upgraded the regulator from the OEM to a Suzuki regulator. You can find them for less than $50 on ebay. The regulator getting hot is normal but not the smoking of course.

If you do decide to go the ebay route, let me know and I'll take a picture of mine and try to help you out with the wiring connection.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 AM

Jalen,

Thanks for the info! I think that I had the connections wrong like you said. Maybe thats why it was heating up prematurely, I probably had the ground and positive reversed and was feeding electricity to a pure ground, smoke being the product of that resistance.

My battery is completely dead, and I can't even charge it to test my RR now. I am going to pick up a battery after work, and plug the female to male connections through the wiring chart.

If all else fails, I may wind up going the eBay route that you suggested.

I'll let you know my progress later on tonight!

Thanks,

Tony

Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 AM

Jalen,

No luck man. I couldn't pull a number off of the regulator, so I am going to take it back to the Scrapyard and pick up a GSXR R/R. I am going to hardwire it in tonight and hopefully I can get it running. I will be one happy man.

I'll fill you in after the surgery.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The F3 uses 3 yellow wires from the stator.
These can be connected in any order to the matching 3 on the r/r.
The red/white is positive, the green is ground.

If you got smoke off the r/r then, it's literally, toast.
The gsxr is a compatible replacement, just be sure that it is from
a bike, that is of the same or greater displacement.

Hope this helps, Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 05-10-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 AM

Guys,

I got an 05 GSXR600 rr for 25 at the scrapyard. Plugged the connections up and she still wasnt firing. I had figured out that since I kept trying to turn her over, i probably fouled the plugs. Sure enough I replaced the NGKs and the turned over on the first crank.

I had it out for 45 minutes the other day and no problems at all. I have to stop and buy a new multimeter, I lost my old one in the move I think. It seems as though the rr is doing its job, no weird idle, battery is holding a decent charge.

Thank you guys for all the help!