CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Engine Ticking Noise CBR600F3

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dec i will check this!

I have fixed the ticking noise! Changed the CCT, no fix. Delved a bit deeper and changed the exhaust manifold gaskets, and i am glad i did. They all looked very burnt and flat, and on had a significant crack and a chunk missing from it. Swapped these for new ones and now the bike sounds sweet! I also checked the valve clearances whilst i was at it, and they all seem in spec. One thing i did notice though whilst looking through the exhaust holes on the head, i noticed one of the 8 valve stems was much darker in colour than the others. 7 were white and one pretty black. Could i have a burnt valve/leaky seal? Bike doesn't smoke, but as previously mentioned it does hesitate to rev sometimes. I thought it might be bad fuel.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:44 PM

Pics

Attached Thumbnails Engine Ticking Noise CBR600F3-exhaust-gasket-1.jpg   Engine Ticking Noise CBR600F3-exhaust-gasket-2.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't want to speak too soon - but I didn't think a CCT or anything would fix it. That wasn't any sort of rattle. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak the video that you took. Replacing those gaskets for the headers was a good idea. Now, do you have an infrared heat gun?

See what it does when you replace those gaskets. But it still may have a mis-fire, and I'd bet it's the cylinder with the black valve. Test/Check with an infrared gun, or if you don't have one, use a mist bottle with water and spray that on the headers. Your headers should all be around 400 degree's F and one that isn't firing will be around 180F. So, the cylinders that are firing are going to instantly evaporate that water that you sprayed on them, while the one that isn't firing - the mist will linger.

Just to clarify - All I could hear/discern from the video you took was an exhaust leak. It may fix it, it may not. You'll just have to see

Last edited by Conrice; 03-09-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
I didn't want to speak too soon - but I didn't think a CCT or anything would fix it. That wasn't any sort of rattle. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak the video that you took. Replacing those gaskets for the headers was a good idea. Now, do you have an infrared heat gun?

See what it does when you replace those gaskets. But it still may have a mis-fire, and I'd bet it's the cylinder with the black valve. Test/Check with an infrared gun, or if you don't have one, use a mist bottle with water and spray that on the headers. Your headers should all be around 400 degree's F and one that isn't firing will be around 180F. So, the cylinders that are firing are going to instantly evaporate that water that you sprayed on them, while the one that isn't firing - the mist will linger.

Just to clarify - All I could hear/discern from the video you took was an exhaust leak. It may fix it, it may not. You'll just have to see
Thanks for your reply.

The thing is, it doesn't have the misfire at idle or half throttle. Its only when i gun it going along between say 4k-10k RPM it seems to hesitate and doesn't feel as quick as normal, after 10k she flies. Maybe i have a blocked carb jet? Would it be advisable to pull the carbs and clean them thoroughly? If so, do i need to order any parts before hand to replace in the carbs? what about the inlet manifold rubbers? Should i replace those?

Cheers

Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by rob_1990
Thanks for your reply.

The thing is, it doesn't have the misfire at idle or half throttle. Its only when i gun it going along between say 4k-10k RPM it seems to hesitate and doesn't feel as quick as normal, after 10k she flies. Maybe i have a blocked carb jet? Would it be advisable to pull the carbs and clean them thoroughly? If so, do i need to order any parts before hand to replace in the carbs? what about the inlet manifold rubbers? Should i replace those?

Cheers
Make sure your vacuum lines are routed correctly and are not getting pinched. I remember when I had my F3, every other time I'd lower the tank, one of the lines would get pinched. Anyways, after you've ruled that out, sure, pull the carbs and soak your jets and make sure they're clean and clear.

I wouldn't replace the boots unless they needed it.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

+1 on what Conrice said about pinching.
Also to answer your question, you really won't know if you need to buy something until you get it apart. Carb parts and the rubber insulator boots can get pricey. Unless you have the $$ to spend, I'd wait and see what you need to replace. For the most part, everything is re-usable. You just have to be careful when taking apart everything.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 AM

Did your bike sit long unused before you bought it mate? Mine had and drove like a bag of spanners, it was woeful and had no pick up through the gears at all, felt like a fooking 250cc.

Now I'm not a big believer in petrol treatments but chucked a bottle of Redex in with a full tank, and now that I'm using the bike almost daily, I've noticed way more 'kick' in it as that tank gets used up. In fact, I'd say I'm at optimal performance now and I'm actually enjoying this little bike (came down from a ZX12r!!)

Old 03-11-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by dec11
Did your bike sit long unused before you bought it mate? Mine had and drove like a bag of spanners, it was woeful and had no pick up through the gears at all, felt like a fooking 250cc.

Now I'm not a big believer in petrol treatments but chucked a bottle of Redex in with a full tank, and now that I'm using the bike almost daily, I've noticed way more 'kick' in it as that tank gets used up. In fact, I'd say I'm at optimal performance now and I'm actually enjoying this little bike (came down from a ZX12r!!)
The bike was sitting for a while i think, yes mate. I will deffo try a bottle of redex, thanks. It seems to be better today. I have been using the Tesco 99 ultimate unleaded, but it seems better on BP standard 95. What redex did you use? do i need one suitable for carb engines, or will the petrol injector one do?

Cheers

Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by rob_1990
The bike was sitting for a while i think, yes mate. I will deffo try a bottle of redex, thanks. It seems to be better today. I have been using the Tesco 99 ultimate unleaded, but it seems better on BP standard 95. What redex did you use? do i need one suitable for carb engines, or will the petrol injector one do?

Cheers

Run your regular gas (not sure what your regular rating is). You don't need the higher octane, that will mess up your carbs and jetting.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by dec11

I put half a bottle of STP fuel system cleaner in with a full tank of regular 95 unleaded. Bike is much better! doesn't seem to hesitate at all now, she flies along.

Thanks for this suggestion!