CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

checked my compression

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: checked my compression

ORIGINAL: my98gtvr4

it all started when i was taking it for its first ride on the highway and it stalled on me. it didn't kill the battery cause i could get it to crank it just wouldn't fire. i killed the battery trying to get it started again. got it home, jumped it and it fired. then i started to get brown smoke and the plugs had what looked to be oil on them. it was unburnt gas. so i got new plugs and wires. i also added a motorcycle carb cleaner to it and ran the tank of gas through. i am going to assume that is why i had white smoke out the back for a while. i am still getting unburnt gas in 2 of the cylinders and a little white smoke from time to time. but i still have some gas in it that was mixed with the carb cleaner. today i cleaned the garage and put the bike in there. i tore the top half apart so i could get at the carbs. the top half look clean but that doesn't mean much. i now have to figure out how to take the carbs off so that i can clean them. i have cleaned bike carbs many times on older bikes and harleys but never had to take them off an F3. this should be a fun time. got to get the tape out and mark everything soi know where it all goes when i put it back together.
Removing the carbs is easy as pie on these bikes. You'll need to either get one clamp to clamp off the fuel from the tank and one clamp to clamp off one of the water lines. Once you do that, you loosen the carb insulators (the black boots that connect the carbs to the heads), it'll take a very long screw driver. Once the insulators are remove, take a pry bar and just work the carbs up. Oh yeah, you'll also need to remove the choke cable.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:30 AM

bigjhon, you mention that he should get some clamps for the fuel and the water hoses. if you dont clamp them off will coolant and fuel spill all over the place when you take them off the carbs? or can you take them off without the clamps?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: busyychild

bigjhon, you mention that he should get some clamps for the fuel and the water hoses. if you dont clamp them off will coolant and fuel spill all over the place when you take them off the carbs? or can you take them off without the clamps?
For the fuel, you could remove it then place the opening end up higher than the tank, in addition to obviously turning off the petcock but you will spill some fuel. As far as the water, you will spill most of it taking the carbs off if you don't clamp it.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:15 AM

alright off to take the carbs off. wish me luck. ill get them off and cleaned and let you know how it goes

Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 PM

so i took the carbs apart. they were mostly clean. a little gunk in the float bowls. i took everything apart and cleaned it. i put it all back together and took it for a ride. at first i had some back firing but it went away. seems to run a lot better. then i pulled the plugs and only a small amount of unburnt gas was on them. im going to try getting a stock air filter and see if that solves the rest of the problem. now i just need to take it out on the highway and see if it will run at high speeds.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: my98gtvr4

so i took the carbs apart. they were mostly clean. a little gunk in the float bowls. i took everything apart and cleaned it. i put it all back together and took it for a ride. at first i had some back firing but it went away. seems to run a lot better. then i pulled the plugs and only a small amount of unburnt gas was on them. im going to try getting a stock air filter and see if that solves the rest of the problem. now i just need to take it out on the highway and see if it will run at high speeds.
wow, got everything off and back on pretty quickly! great job! You made sure that all the springs got back in there also right? there should be two large springs between the 1 - 2 and 3 - 4 carbs. They are bigger on one end than they are on the other. Then there are 4 small springs that are connected to the throttle linkage on all of the carbs. They are used to sync the carbs. I know that after I reinstalled mine they bike ran a little funky. One of those smaller springs had fallen off so when I applied throttle one of the carbs opened up way later than the others. After I replaced that, I reinstalled and sync'd them all up and viola!

good luck brotha!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 PM

bigjohn, it isnt necessary to sync them after a carb clean right? for instance i just had mine syncd. any reason why i would want to sync them again after cleaning them?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:36 PM

As long as you haven't touched the sync adjustments and the carbs are back in the original cylinders, no, you shouldn't have to resync.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: bigjohnstud4200

As long as you haven't touched the sync adjustments and the carbs are back in the original cylinders, no, you shouldn't have to resync.
I always thought anytime you remove the carbs, you should sync them.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: chrisc321

ORIGINAL: bigjohnstud4200

I always thought anytime you remove the carbs, you should sync them.
it wouldn't hurt, but as long as you haven't touched those adjustments you're likely going to be in sync with no adjustments required.

Quick Reply: checked my compression