CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   checked my compression (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/checked-my-compression-82800/)

my98gtvr4 11-18-2008 02:20 PM

checked my compression

so i took the bike apart today and checked my compression on all 4 cylinders. i have 140 PSI on all 4. is that normal?

my98gtvr4 11-18-2008 02:25 PM

RE: checked my compression

i also noticed when i took the plugs out that 2 of them were dry and clean and 2 of them were wet with dirty unburnt gas. i know i need to get my bike jetted but if i jet the carbs and only 2 of them are not burning all the gas what will this do? can i just adjust the carbs and get the 2 cylinders right?

Hurricane rider 11-18-2008 07:07 PM

two of your carbs are overflowing fuel, indicating your carburetors need to be cleaned thoroughly first then you can determine what to do from there.

my98gtvr4 11-18-2008 09:43 PM

that is my next step. tomorrow i am pulling the carbs and cleaning them. while i have them off i am going to get a stage 1 jet kit and install that.

bigjohnstud4200 11-18-2008 09:46 PM

Compression should be around 185-191 psi on a WARMED engine. Why do you need to jet the bike? A good cleaning is probably needed but why the jetting?

my98gtvr4 11-18-2008 09:59 PM

it has a 2 brothers pipe and a K&N on it and its leaving unburnt gas in the cylinders. if i run it around the block it backfires a lot

my98gtvr4 11-18-2008 10:04 PM

plus im pretty sure the owner before me never did it

bigjohnstud4200 11-18-2008 10:15 PM

I'm fairly new at this, but from what I've read, you don't need to rejet for a slip on and K&N. have you check the sync on the carbs, I would start there.

goodluck.

my98gtvr4 11-18-2008 10:50 PM

after i clean them maybe ill put them back on and take them in to get sync'd. i have gotten mixed answers about jetting. i was told that any modification would require a jet kit. but i was also told to just put a stock air filter back in and that should solve the problem

my98gtvr4 11-18-2008 10:57 PM

it all started when i was taking it for its first ride on the highway and it stalled on me. it didn't kill the battery cause i could get it to crank it just wouldn't fire. i killed the battery trying to get it started again. got it home, jumped it and it fired. then i started to get brown smoke and the plugs had what looked to be oil on them. it was unburnt gas. so i got new plugs and wires. i also added a motorcycle carb cleaner to it and ran the tank of gas through. i am going to assume that is why i had white smoke out the back for a while. i am still getting unburnt gas in 2 of the cylinders and a little white smoke from time to time. but i still have some gas in it that was mixed with the carb cleaner. today i cleaned the garage and put the bike in there. i tore the top half apart so i could get at the carbs. the top half look clean but that doesn't mean much. i now have to figure out how to take the carbs off so that i can clean them. i have cleaned bike carbs many times on older bikes and harleys but never had to take them off an F3. this should be a fun time. got to get the tape out and mark everything soi know where it all goes when i put it back together.