CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Speedo adjustment help

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo adjustment help

My cbr600f2 has an Acewell 3913 Digi speedo/tach/temp/etc cluster on it.
For figuring out my speed, i have to enter in a tire size circumference parameter. It has 17" tires but using the appropriate number as instructed by the manual (there's a table for diff tire sizes) results in silly speed readings such as pulling 55 when i know i'm doing more like 30. I have a feeling it was designed for dirtbikes whose 17" tires have larger circunference due to *****, which would explain the increased mph reading on smaller street tires.
I've played with the numbers and have it very roughly correct with a margin of error about 10 mph (huge guess, judging on what i remember people driving at through certain parts of the city- how the flow of traffic at so and so is 30 when the speed limit is 35, etc)

My bike has stock gearing so I was wondering if anyone could give me any baselines for bike speed. For example, about how fast does this bike go at 8000rpm in second, third, etc. I would like 3 points for reference.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you measure the circumference yourself?

Heres an easy way of doing it:
1) With the bike on a level surface, mark the bottom position on the wheel using a felt tip pen, tape or similar.
2) Mark the same spot on the ground.
3) Roll the bike forwards until the wheel has rolled one revolution (ie the bottom mark is once again on the bottom)
4) Set a new mark on the ground
5) Measure the distance between the two marks on the ground. This will equal your tires circumference.

Tip:
For better accuracy roll the bike equal to 10 wheel revolutions.
Measure the distance and divide by 10.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Go the Gearing Commander website, load your bike's values from the drop-down menu and then you can play with the different speeds at various rpm.

2. If you want to know the true speed for a certain tire size/rpm/gear borrow a friend's GPS nav and go for a ride.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:25 PM

I know the real circumference of my tire, but like I said the true circumference typed into the display gives wonky numbers.
At the moment, i am using "725" mm for the circumference parameter and i would say it is accurate within 5mph.

In top gear, at 10,000rpm, my bike does 55mph dead on. does that sound right?

I do have a GPS from my truck and it could run on battery for awhile. I'll think about it.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Ok, according to the gearing commander website, this bike should be at 128mph at 10k rpm in top gear.

There may be a lot more things I need to adjust if that is the case. Such as the tachometer adjustment. I can set a parameter to 0.5, 1, 2, 3 for how many rpms per signal from the sensor. I have no idea how the sensor works for the tach.
Honestly it would make sense if all of my rpm readings right now are double of what really is going on. I mean, my idle reads at 3000.....

Old 05-18-2010, 02:25 AM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

Bear with me for a lil bit because it has been awhile, but...

I put an acewell on my old f2. if you can, get the correct speedo cable that hooks up to the gauge, helps a ton, tried to do the magnetic thing first go round with crappy results.

as for the rpm. your gonna have to find a wiring schematic. find the wire in your harness and splice it with the RPM sensor wire. then you can program the gauge to match the sending units output. to late tonight but i might be able to get you the color code out of my book tommorrow.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:14 PM

I currently have it set to 0.5 revolutions per signal which makes a lot more sense. It reads my idle at 1400, and dropping it lower than that with the idle adjust **** kills the engine.

Strangely enough, I emailed electrosport and they told me it needed to be set at 1.0 revs per signal. The tach isn't that huge a deal anymore since I know my bike well enough now to not really need it.

The bigger issue is the speedo, but I'm happy with the way it is reading, despite the funky number i had to use for that parameter.