CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Did I do the adjustment right?>???```

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I do the adjustment right?>???```

i just did a valve adjustment and i think i may have messed it up. When you sit on the bike, the left side (side of the clutch) should be cylinder #1 right? i hope it is and we adjusted it that way but when we put everything back together we tried starting it and the compression sounded really choppy and the bike sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't want to fire up. We finally got it running but i could tell it sounded different (more choppy commin from the exhaust) and when i tried making it run POOREST PERFORMANCE EVER before when i barely turned the throttle the bike would go very fast, now when i turn the throttle all the way it barely runs. what happened, if i did get the cylinders right then could it be the spark plugs, or did i not get the cylinders right?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Default RE: Did I do the adjustment right?>???```

what i mean by the side of the clutch is not the side of the crankcase cover, i am talking about when you actually sit on the bike the left side opposite the front brake handle and throttle

Old 09-27-2007, 01:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, you messed it up. Do you have a SM to check it with? Sounds like the plugs to cylindersare wrong. You probably have at least 1 correct, otherwise it wouldn't even catch.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:40 PM

actually i did have the cylinders right, according to the book the cylinders are numbered 1 2 3 4 with cylinder #1 on the side of the alternator which i believe is the side with the crankcase cover which when you are sitting on the bike is the right side (side with the front brake handle) and i have another question, the exhaust valves are towards the bottom of the cylinder head right (towards the actual exhaust pipes) because thats how i adjusted them. when i try and start the motor with out the plug caps in it sounds like it wants to start, but it doesn't sound like it is firing over ok and when it does finally start and what is a SM?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:58 PM

SM=Service Manual, I'd lookthe info upfor you, but mine is on loan at the moment.
Yes the exhaust valves are the ones closest to the pipes.
You could always try swapping the plugs the other way, especially since it ran before and now won't. So use clutch handle as #1 as opposed to throttle handle as #1. A dis system fires 1&4 and 2&3 at the same time, but the polarity is different and the plus side will get the hotter spark., sometimes the neg doesn't even get a spark.
I must apoligize, usually I give more technical advice complete with SM pages, but like I said its on loan.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:38 PM

i am almost positive i did the adjustment right because the book says you need to turn the motor to the tdc and you can measure valves 2 and 4 so according to the book i did it right, i tried switching the plugs that made no difference could it be the ignition coils?

Old 09-28-2007, 04:52 PM

I know this is stupid , but make sure you have the plug wires on the right plugs. 1&4 from one side and 2&3 from the other.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:39 PM

It could be coils, it could also be a fuse in your fusebox. You change the spark plugs while you had it apart? They could be gapped wrong.Is you fuel petcock on? Really sounds like the plugs wires are all wrong though. Is everything back together like before you did the adjust? everything plugged in, all ground wires and battery cables tight?

Old 09-30-2007, 10:00 PM

the plug wires have #'s on them, but plug #1 is on the same side as cylinder #4 i guess that i could not be putting in the wires correctly does anyone know how they are supposed to go in?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 AM

Follow the numbers, wire #1 goes in Cylinder #1, on your LEFT if you're on the bike. From the same side/coil is the wire for #4, the cylinder on the RIGHT if you're on the bike. From the other side/coil are #2 and 3.

Quick Reply: Did I do the adjustment right?>???```