CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

New F2 Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through a major overhaul of the carbs and fuel system on my 94 F2 so here's what I can tell you. Your fuel hoses are probably hard as rocks so replace them. The fuel line that runs from the petcock to the T connector is supposed to be S shaped. Your pic shows a generic fuel hose with hose clamps that don't look OEM for sure. Here are the OEM part numbers for the S shaped hose, 16955-MV9-000, and the L shaped hoses (you need QTY-2), 16195-MV9-670, that run to the carb inlets.

I wasn't about to spent 28 dollars per carb on gasket kits so after I cleaned them I used RTV silicon for the bowls. I have had ZERO problems with leaks. For the carb boots I sprayed a bit of lithium grease inside them so they would go on and off easier.

Lastly, the bought a rebuild kit for the vacuum petcock and a new strainer screen because mine was toast after the previous owner let the fuel turn to varnish. I got the tank clean with naval jelly. That stuff rocks!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
If I were a betting man, since you only found the bent valves on one cylinder - the motor wasn't running under load when the damage occurred.

I'd bet a timing job wasn't done properly, and the motor wasn't turned through enough to find the interference issues, and someone tried starting it up and ate those valves. Otherwise, since our engines are interference-type, wouldn't you have found even more damage if the motor had been running down the road when the problem happened?
What you're saying makes sense to me, it would seem like there would be more damage if it happened while running. I was thinking it must have been bad timing as well. The guy I got it from said he tried starting it, it would turn over but never catch and fire, so maybe it happened when he was cranking it, who knows? It could have easily been the previous owner. All I know is that the damage isn't too bad and now its my problem lol.

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
It's hard to tell from that pic, but if the cylinder 2 piston face is undamaged, and the rod is not bent, just replacing the two valves and putting it back together might not be too pricey... how are the valve seats?
I would also check those corresponding valve guides for wear/damage, even if they are bad, they're only $11 each... though pressing out the old and pressing in the new, might cost a few bucks.

Anyway, nobody would blame you for parting this thing out, and looking for a better specimen, but if you decide to tackle it, good luck!
I'll have to check them, I have been busy since getting those bent valves out. I'm still thinking about tackling this project, so I might be on here begging for help later...

Originally Posted by Johnny34
I just went through a major overhaul of the carbs and fuel system on my 94 F2 so here's what I can tell you. Your fuel hoses are probably hard as rocks so replace them. The fuel line that runs from the petcock to the T connector is supposed to be S shaped. Your pic shows a generic fuel hose with hose clamps that don't look OEM for sure. Here are the OEM part numbers for the S shaped hose, 16955-MV9-000, and the L shaped hoses (you need QTY-2), 16195-MV9-670, that run to the carb inlets.

I wasn't about to spent 28 dollars per carb on gasket kits so after I cleaned them I used RTV silicon for the bowls. I have had ZERO problems with leaks. For the carb boots I sprayed a bit of lithium grease inside them so they would go on and off easier.

Lastly, the bought a rebuild kit for the vacuum petcock and a new strainer screen because mine was toast after the previous owner let the fuel turn to varnish. I got the tank clean with naval jelly. That stuff rocks!
Thanks for all the info! I was wondering if RTV would work for the bowls, I'll have to give it a shot.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 AM

I'm curious about that picture of your piston heads. Anyone with more experience know what the circles on the cylinder heads are? Is that where the valves are contacting the surface of the piston? There's light circles on the intakes of piston two where the bent valves came from but there are more defined circles on the exhaust side of all the pistons. Does that look like there's lots of contact on the exhaust side?

If the timing chain is off then would you only get contact with a couple of valves or all of them?

Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
I'm curious about that picture of your piston heads. Anyone with more experience know what the circles on the cylinder heads are? Is that where the valves are contacting the surface of the piston? There's light circles on the intakes of piston two where the bent valves came from but there are more defined circles on the exhaust side of all the pistons. Does that look like there's lots of contact on the exhaust side?

If the timing chain is off then would you only get contact with a couple of valves or all of them?
The circles do indeed look like where the valves made contact. Not harshly, but contact none the less. As far as the timing being off and the number of valves making contact, there are alot of variables that go into that. Why was the timing off, valve seat height, how long was starting attempted, etc. IMO, for whatever its worth, almost looks like someone possibly checked valve shims and screwed up somewhere along the way. Perhaps installing incorrect shims, which would theoretically change the valve seat depth.

Like JNS said, if the pistons arent scarred, some new valves, and possibly seats should get you going.