CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New Here, New Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here, New Project

Hi All, new to the forum and just starting a new project. CBR600FL 1990 49,000miles, totally striped it and have just had the frame blasted. Off for powder coating today. Never done this before, quite exiting!

Hope to get her back on the road as good as new and standard looking as Honda made her.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 AM

Great start! Welcome to the forum.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 AM

thats about what i started with, a bare frame, although i didn't repaint mine.

i hope you checked the left side rear engine mounting point on the frame for cracks before it gets poweder coated... check page four of the sticky up above for pics.

keep us updated on your progress

Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by tripicana
thats about what i started with, a bare frame, although i didn't repaint mine.

i hope you checked the left side rear engine mounting point on the frame for cracks before it gets poweder coated... check page four of the sticky up above for pics.

keep us updated on your progress
Yup, checked the frame and it looks good, will post some more pics as things advance.

Thanks for the advice.

Do you have a pic of your bike I could see?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:24 AM

i went from this
Name:  cbr600f-1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  70.3 KB

to this
Name:  CBR600F-2.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  144.3 KB

Old 01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Default Its done

Not been here for a while, been doing my bike. All finished and on the road as of satuday. took me 7 months and went for a street fighter look in the end.

from this

to this

Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 PM

very nice.i have kinda the same plans for my 87 f1 basketcase project.hope mine comes out close to that nice.love the skull on the tank.what kind of paint did u use on the motor?never really did any painting.but i am about to learn.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Wow, beautiful man! Thats the look I'm going for with my bike except probably flat black. Mind sharing what you did with it? I'm really interested in the body work, (sorry I'm really lacking on the lingo), did you do a conversion on the rear panel there by the seat? And whats up with the front fender? I've been wanting some body panels but I don't know what fits and what doesn't. Love the dominator headlights, you just convinced me to get em!!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by moegixx1000
very nice.i have kinda the same plans for my 87 f1 basketcase project.hope mine comes out close to that nice.love the skull on the tank.what kind of paint did u use on the motor?never really did any painting.but i am about to learn.
Engine was degreased and sanded, then sprayed with a eched primer to bond the paint to the ally engine, then I finished it with satin black celly,

Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by eblak3
Wow, beautiful man! Thats the look I'm going for with my bike except probably flat black. Mind sharing what you did with it? I'm really interested in the body work, (sorry I'm really lacking on the lingo), did you do a conversion on the rear panel there by the seat? And whats up with the front fender? I've been wanting some body panels but I don't know what fits and what doesn't. Love the dominator headlights, you just convinced me to get em!!

The rear panel and part of the seat are from a later CBR600, 1999 i think, but I spliced the original seat and the 1999 seat together so that the old seat fits correctly around the tank but the new seat fits the new panel. The front mudguard if from a hornet as is the belly pan, none of the above fit without some modifications

Quick Reply: New Here, New Project