CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

New F2 Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F2 Project

Hey everyone, I've been reading threads in the background for a while (like JNSRacing's 93 F2 Mods...wow) but decided it was time to get in on the action and share the project I have just acquired. I got the bike from a buddy who bought it for $400. My buddy thought he could get the bike running again, but that was not the case. Here is how she sat in his garage for several months.

Yep, he left the carbs open to his garage for probably close to 6 months (notice the sawdust that is EVERYWHERE). The plastics are trashed and the bike is just a general mess. I am by no means an expert, but I believe I can get this girl back out on the street where she belongs, but I might need some help from everyone on the forum. I hope to update from time to time, but time and funds never seem to come at the same time, so bear with me. As I said, the fairings are trashed so what do you guys think I should do with it? Try to find replacement fairings or go streetfighter? I havent decided on what direction to take it yet, just that it needs to run before I start cosmetics.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:13 AM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome..lots of great info so your in good hands...keep us posted..

Old 05-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums man!

On the streetfighter or full fairing look will be your option. You either have to feel the vibes as to what you really want, we cant really tell you what to do. I would say go full fairing because I love how they look, but hey you might be interested in having a naked bike. Whatever your choice is, just keep us posted with progress man, we like seeing other people's builds.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by campos_motorsports
Welcome to the forums man!

On the streetfighter or full fairing look will be your option. You either have to feel the vibes as to what you really want, we cant really tell you what to do. I would say go full fairing because I love how they look, but hey you might be interested in having a naked bike. Whatever your choice is, just keep us posted with progress man, we like seeing other people's builds.
I know it will be my decision in the end, but I was just curious as to what everyone else liked. I've helped a few friends do street fighters so Im thinking about trying to find fairings so we don't all have the same naked bike.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Default Oh boy

Well today I dug into the carbs, which were as predicted, dirty as $#!t. The boots between the carb and engine are hard as rocks and I had to use a fat max prybar to get the carbs off. I ended up having to cut one of them off. So those rubber boots will need replacing. Went through a big can of carb cleaner and got them looking better. Two of the float bowl gaskets were toast, so those will need replacing. All of the screws on the float bowls as well as the tops of the carbs were already stripped and had to pull them with the handy dandy grab-it bolt extractor. Not sure about the floats, the picture isnt that great, but are the floats in the second carb from the left done for? I've never seen floats that color lol.

Was checking the valve clearances and while turning the engine, I noticed that something didnt feel quite right. I looked down the intake ports and what do I see? Bent Valve

So much for finding some small problem and being able to get it up and running some time soon.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well man atleast you didnt pay much for it. Its a good and a bad thing, depends how much of a project it was gonna be for you. You can get a used engine for about $300-$600 most probably. Good thing is with the engine swap you can strip all down and powder coat the frame or polish it, whatever you choose, or part it out if you feel like its gonna be too much of a hassle with it.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:34 PM

I figured it would be a decent project, but this is more than I expected. That being said, I'm also stubborn with giving up on projects so I'll probably try to work something out. I might tear it apart a bit more, check the other valves and see if I can just replace the bad one.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Default Bent valves are out!

Finally got the head off and got those valves out.

A close up look at the pistons, the TDC piston on the right was the cylinder with the bent intake valves.

I'd say they were pretty screwed up...

I'm not positive what caused it, but I'm thinking the timing chain must have slipped off or something to jack up the timing. Any pros want to weigh in, that would be appreciated.

Has anyone used KPMI Black Diamond Valves? They're $30 a piece here:
KPMI Black Diamond Valves for 1994 HONDA CBR600F F2 - PowerSportsPlace.com

If anyone could recommend some stock replacement valves for a decent price, that would be awesome. Also, does anyone know if and where I could get certain carburetor gaskets individually? Honda sells a complete gasket set for $20 for each carb which seemed a bit much to me, especially when I really only need one gasket for each carb.

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention earlier, it is a 1994 F2. I dont think I ever told everyone what the year was.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were a betting man, since you only found the bent valves on one cylinder - the motor wasn't running under load when the damage occurred.

I'd bet a timing job wasn't done properly, and the motor wasn't turned through enough to find the interference issues, and someone tried starting it up and ate those valves. Otherwise, since our engines are interference-type, wouldn't you have found even more damage if the motor had been running down the road when the problem happened?

Old 05-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to tell from that pic, but if the cylinder 2 piston face is undamaged, and the rod is not bent, just replacing the two valves and putting it back together might not be too pricey... how are the valve seats?
I would also check those corresponding valve guides for wear/damage, even if they are bad, they're only $11 each... though pressing out the old and pressing in the new, might cost a few bucks.

Anyway, nobody would blame you for parting this thing out, and looking for a better specimen, but if you decide to tackle it, good luck!

Quick Reply: New F2 Project