CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Maintenance cost question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance cost question

I might try to do some of these things myself, but maybe next spring I'll just break down and let Honda do it for me. I know this is going to be subjective, but how much (estimated) would all this cost to do, assuming my dealership charges $30 per half hour.

Oil change with filter
Coolant flush and fill
New plugs
Valve adjustment
Carb synch
Chain adjustment/ replacement

Basically, next season I want my F2 to run as smoothly as it did from the factory. Anyone had all this done at once? If so, how much did you have to lay out?

Old 11-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Default RE: Maintenance cost question

Wow, $60/hour rate??? That's cheap.

expect the following to take about this long and be charged accordingly:

oil change with filter - 1 - 2 hours
coolant flush and fill - 2 - 3 hours
new plugs - 2 - 3 hours
valve check and/or adjustment - 2.5 - 4 hours
carb sync - 1 hour
chain adjustment/replacement - 0.5 - 1 hour

You'll be able to reduce labor cost by one or more of the following:
- bring bike naked (i.e. no fairing to the shop)
- do some jobs at the same time (e.g. plugs, valves, coolant flush, and carb sync all require removal of the same parts
- go to an independent shop rather than a Honda dealership (assuming you trust the shop)

Now if you feel daring, here's some tutorials on:
oil change
coolant flush
valve check
carb sync

The tutorials are for a 600RR. Get the service manual for your bike to see the differences. You'll be pleasantly surprised how similar these procedures will be for your bike.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:05 PM

Change the oil and filter yourself.... half an hour max dead easy to do.. 2 hours????? you say if anyone is charging 2 hours to change the oil & filter you should avoid at all cost serious they arte rippin you off big time....

Coolant drain and flush + refill 1 hour tops you can do this your self download the manual off here..... it's easy

Plugs to change can be awkward but if you got the correct plug tool from honda, or from the tool kit 30 mins tops, but you do need to keep your cool and patience..... 2 to 3 hours is taking the **** serious..

Valve clearance is a bit more complex if your not that mechanically minded leave it to the pro's
as for the carb sync' ing too

DIY thats what it's all about...
your choice at the end of the day no one can force your hand you choose
but don't get ripped off

Old 11-07-2006, 01:51 AM

The Honda dealer near my house only charges $30 per half hour to stay in business. About 20 minutes away Southern Honda Powersports opened up not too long ago. Southern Honda is the largest Honda dealership in the Southeast... they have a 100,000 Sq. Ft. showroom, and they stock all types and brands of helmets, gear, apparel. Because of this, the Honda place by my house had to stop selling gear. They have a much smaller selection of helmets, and only a handful of various sundries on their shelves. To make up for the loss, they do labor pretty cheaply.
I have changed the oil before, and it's pretty easy. I'm sure I could do the coolant flush too, but the other things I'm not sure of. I don't have the tool kit for my bike, and I heard that you need a special plug socket to fit into the tight space where the plugs are. I have some valve feeler guages, so the valves are possible too. I need a carb synch tool though. I've been reading through the Clyhmer manual, and I could probably do it all on my own, but I was trying to get a feel for how much it would cost for the dealer to do it. If it were to cost $400 or less for them to do it, it would probably be worth my time just to let them do it.
I would love to do all the work myself, but I work 50 hours per week already, and when I get home I have to spend time with the wife. If I were to come home and spend time with the bike instead I might never get laid again!

Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 AM

If you don't know what your doing leave the valves and carb's to somone who knows it's not all plain sailing, if you have to change the shims you need to remove the cam bearing tops and if you don't do it easily they crack for fun.. then you need a new cyl head, as they're line bored throught to take the cams, and the cam tops come complete with the head.... sorry to sound so neg on this subject but so many try and then end up back asking for help coz their bikes wont run or they've damaged parts..