F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance question

I have this mechanic that he has put me a brand new michelin pilot power he only charged $117 which I think is good. but he also told me that for a full tune up service where he changes all the fluids and does the valves pretty much a whole tune up on the bike also with a brand new clutch for $550 is this good can you guys tell me how much a mechanic will charge for this parts and labor?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Default RE: maintenance question

cost of parts:

fluids/filter $40-50
clutch disks $75-85

cost of labor:

valve job approx 3 hours
fluid change approx .5 hours
clutch service approx 1 hour

$550 - $125 parts= $425 labor
425 / 4.5 hours - aprox $100 an hour.

Seems fair to me... depends on what level of quality he puts into his work though.

tbw

Old 11-21-2008, 05:29 PM

but he's changing all of the fluids like coolant everything to me it seems like a good price then because it is kind of a lot of labor I will do it myself but i dont know how to drain the coolant or brake lines.
I was thinking of telling him if I can buy the clutch and he puts it on.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:47 PM

Is anybody a mechanic here that way they have a clear view of what needs to be done.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but he's changing all of the fluids like coolant everything to me it seems like a good price then because it is kind of a lot of labor I will do it myself but i dont know how to drain the coolant or brake lines. I was thinking of telling him if I can buy the clutch and he puts it on.
I'm by no means a mechanic, but I do 99% of all maintenance on my vehicles. This includes plugs, belts, fluids, filters,and brakes among others. The coolant flush and oil change are super easy. The brakes, once you learn how to do them,are fairly easy, although time consuming. The clutch job and valve check/adjustseem pretty straight forward from the "how-to" threads I've seen, but I wouldn't recommendthem to a novice.
The thing you have to ask yourself is: do I have the tools, the time,and mechanical inclination/knowledge to tackle the job at hand and be successful. Repair manuals are as indispensable as is having the right quality tools in accomplishing this.
If I were you, I'd search around the net for "How-to" articles on these subjects (preferably with illustrations)and decide if you want to do it yourself.
Me personally, rather spend the money for the parts, and pay myself off with the satisfaction of knowing that I fixed it and didn't pay a guy $100/hour to fix it for me.

Here'smy crappyattempt at a how-to for a coolant flush/oil change: http://www.600rrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1803

Old 11-22-2008, 10:19 AM

I have changed 2 clutches on my bike and done all the work for my maintenance. Unless you really know what your doing, and you have the tools and time to work on it, you can try to do it, butyou can read all the write ups and learn as much as possible but its like riding, you can' t learn from a book. You have to do it. Its better sometimes to let the professionals or trained mechanics do it for you. Because if you attempt to do it and screw something up, and you take it to a mechanic, he will now charge you more to fix your f*ck up.

Bottom line, just spend the money and have him do it for you and you know its done right. If you make a mistake on the brake bleeding and your going down the road and your brakes fail, who's gonna really pay? You are with your life. Money can buy almost everything except experience.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:40 AM

Incognito nice write up thread . Anyone who takes there time to make a write up deserves credit . Also I never seen that new forum before yet another one added to my list ,thanks

Old 11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks Mr. Cougar - The only thing about that forum is that it takes ages to get a response, if you get one at all.
This forum here is by far the best Honda forum imho. You have humor, infinite knowledge, and most importantly, people are civil to each other.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Yah, this is a great forum. i have learned alot and have helped alot of people too. I check the forum probably everyday when I am around my computer. Its too cold to ride in Nebraska, so its enjoyable to talk about bikes with others.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:38 PM

i'm taking motorcycle mechanics at my community college and just checked the valve clearance on my f4i
that price seems fair to me

Quick Reply: maintenance question