CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

HELP with carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with carb problem

Hello everyone...I have problem with my F2. I have replaced the full exhaust from a micron to a delkavic (apparently a copy of the standard downpipes in stainless steel) with a viper end can and now the engine has developed a problem when going uphill or using wide throttle openings in 5th and 6th gears at slow speeds for example going around corners in the wet. At 3000 revs in 6th anything over half throttle causes the bike to bog badly (I know its a 600 and you dont ride like this too often but it pulled from 3000rpm cleanly with the micron) it is so bad that today I tried to go up a series of steep 90 degreeuphill corners with my son as pillion and the bike died in 3rd gear as soon as the motor dropped below 3500rpm...I had to restart and ride the clutch in 2nd to get to the top.
Onceover 3500rpm the motor feels very strong and pulls to the redline in every gear. I cant do much in the way of altering the jet needle because the standard honda needle has no grooves to richen or weaken........a few people I have spoken to reckon its running too rich......does the needle control the throttle at these revs? The air filter is new and standard and its on 135 mains which are standard....do I need a jetkit or is it something more sinister? any help gratefully recieved guys

Old 08-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Default RE: HELP with carb problem

Mate im feeling your pain.. i got exactly the same problem with mine after replacing the headers with Delkevic ones and a viper end can. I recently put the bike on a dyno and the guy said its massively overfuelling causing it to bog down. His suggestion was a stage 1 Dynojet kit, K&N filter and setup on a rolling road. He was pretty sure this would solve any problems and make her run sweet. Hopefully it will be done in a few weeks so i will let you know how it goes

Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM

thanks for the reply s1rusdvirus...are you in england? ... I will phone a few tuners and get advice then I will fit a dynojet kit if thats what is needed but I thought it would have run weaker if anything???? If I get mine sorted before you I will let you know what I have done......cheers again mate

Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 PM

yeah im in bristol mate. ive asked about prices for doing the job and at the moment waiting for replies but i was given a rough guide at about Ā£300.... hope it goes well and hopefully we both get the result we are after.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 PM

jet kits are easy to install yourself, although usually they are to richen up the mixture not lean it down, I'd reccomend switching to a K&N air filter first if your carb is all stock, you should also mess with the mixture screws on the carb after drilling the plugs out

Old 08-25-2008, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: pbrownw

jet kits are easy to install yourself, although usually they are to richen up the mixture not lean it down, I'd reccomend switching to a K&N air filter first if your carb is all stock, you should also mess with the mixture screws on the carb after drilling the plugs out
usually they do richin up the mix but on an f2 they all lean it out even a stage 7! what the problem be is ur new exuast is not flowing as good as the one you removed so if your dead set on not puting ur old shiz back on buy a stage one but ur neddle clip in the 3rd (middle) use the smaller mains and just follow the instructions, test ride and adjust from there. i dont recomend using a
k n filter because their dyno proven midrange killers for pressurized air box models like the f2s. ive never seen pilot plugs on an f2 so u shuoldnt have to worry bout that follow dj instructions to the t then post ur results.

p.s. factory pros pink sheet proves VERY useful tunuing carbs recomend printing it out and selling me your old full exuast

Old 08-26-2008, 02:11 PM

thanks for the replies...I will buy a jet kit and try to sort it...are there any other things that could cause loss of power on wide throttle openings?

Old 08-26-2008, 04:24 PM

dirty carbs/plugs/airfilter or a spark issue.if it ran fine b4 u put the exuast on there then ur best bet is a jet kit though. i recomend dynojet.