CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

F2 Project from spring 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
The engine looks great, nicely done.

It doesn't sound like you did but I'm curious if looked inside while you had it out of the frame and easily accessible? I know it means buying a new head gasket but since you made it look so darn nice I thought it would be worth the effort to make sure the pistons and valves are ok. I had so much carbon build up in my cylinders it was holding one of the valves open.
The engine will be coming back out in may to have the shims and rings done. i have been able to get in touch with a good old friend that will be back in the uk at that time that is an excellent bike mechanic . he said for me to wait as he wont charge me to do the job..... (best friend ever) i did have a look a quick peak with a small microcamera and from what i could see, it wasnt to bad!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM

That's a pretty sweet deal, free engine work. Who you know, not what you know I guess.

I see you are in Devon, anywhere near Exeter? I have a friend there that I visit when I can. Last time I was there we drove from Exeter to Colyton. Some nice roads around there.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
That's a pretty sweet deal, free engine work. Who you know, not what you know I guess.

I see you are in Devon, anywhere near Exeter? I have a friend there that I visit when I can. Last time I was there we drove from Exeter to Colyton. Some nice roads around there.
Exeter Born and bread!!!!! that road is great, colyton is near a place called honiton, i have friends there so we go riding around to the coast and back.
Whos your friend? may know him....
Yes having good friends does help. in the early part of this thread i put down that i want to do this project cheaply... think my friend has saved me hundreds!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 PM

Some more Improvements i made this afternoon.
My camera does not do my bike any justice!!! sorry for rubbish quality, and no its not to hide my mistakes lol.......

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails F2 Project from spring 2013-2013-01-19-18.17.32.jpg   F2 Project from spring 2013-2013-01-19-18.16.38.jpg   F2 Project from spring 2013-2013-01-19-18.17.07.jpg   F2 Project from spring 2013-2013-01-19-18.17.46.jpg  
Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking nice, seems you`re going way deeper with your build than me, just some touch up work and a little makeover in the form of some minor mods.

BTW, that stand looks rock solid

Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mattson
Looking nice, seems you`re going way deeper with your build than me, just some touch up work and a little makeover in the form of some minor mods.

BTW, that stand looks rock solid
So far I have done, wheel bearings both sets and sprocket carrier, head set bearings, top and bottom. New complete clutch (EBC), frame blasted and painted, engine cleaned with acid and covers painted with enamel, rear swing arm replaced with one already powdercoated,(bargain of the build so far), all the cables have been replaced. forks have been restored with new internals and painted, tripple tree blasted and painted.
Over then next month I will be.......
Blasting wheels and painting, New EBC wavey disc and pads all round plus braided hoses, recon on both master cylinders, New did chain and sprockets front and back, fairings being modified and sprayed with a new back end design. Think that's most of it covered! Engine tuning just before summer kicks in. Ohh and the stand is rock solid, no wolf blowing that one down

Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 AM

Excellent project you've got going, looking forward to seeing more progress! I love the black frame and engine covers that you've painted, it really finishes it off.

From what you've done already, you will be able to do the shims yourself; I've just stripped my bike down and checked the clearances and not mechanically minded

Did you spray you forks? I did mine last year using black hammerite paint, it looks good but if you look closely you can see the brush strokes :/

Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by StevenF
Excellent project you've got going, looking forward to seeing more progress! I love the black frame and engine covers that you've painted, it really finishes it off.

From what you've done already, you will be able to do the shims yourself; I've just stripped my bike down and checked the clearances and not mechanically minded

Did you spray you forks? I did mine last year using black hammerite paint, it looks good but if you look closely you can see the brush strokes :/
Hi mate, yes, i have sprayed the forks. i used primer, black gloss base coat and 2pac lacquer. Its not that i dont want to do the shims, its more of wanting someone who knows this stuff inside out and not gonna charge me! whilst i have this oppertunity, i will take full advantage! and why not!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:44 PM

so, i have been busy, blasting and spraying more parts. here is a shot of front bracket, both rear and front calipers, and the handle bars that are ready to fit! (i love my place of work, free blasting on small parts and paint too!) hope i dont get fired before i finish!

Attached Thumbnails F2 Project from spring 2013-2013-02-04-22.58.10.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM

i blasted my calipers and painted them, because its free! lol... I came accross Yet, another MOT failure!!! if you look at the pics you should see the problem straight away, for those who cant, notice there are no dust seals where they should be! the garage i bought it from had apparently fixed these problems before they moted it and sold it to me. (not to mention garage name) but dont use s***d in exeter, devon! this is along with the hole in swing arm mentioned earlier in thread and the warped discs and failed Cam chain tensioner. i could go in to blasting the company for what they said to me when i bought the bike and what i have found which has made the bike dangerous to ride (but they passed it in the mot) anyway IT SHOULD NOT OF PASSED MOT AND CLASSED AS DANGEROUS TO RIDE!......................... I decided to go out and buy new rebuild kits for all calipers and going to rebuild them myself! any tips for putting in new seals would be greatfully recieved!
Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails F2 Project from spring 2013-2013-01-28-20.25.08.jpg   F2 Project from spring 2013-2013-01-28-20.26.01.jpg   F2 Project from spring 2013-2013-01-31-11.06.45.jpg  

Quick Reply: F2 Project from spring 2013